Ragim Impala

Russ

Does anyone know this bow or the maker? It's marketed as an entry-level traditional recurve, but seems to have sight/plunger/longrod attachments.

What concerns me most is the length: I have a draw length of 29"+ and the longest Impala available is 62". I heard lots about stacking on other makes, I wonder whether PSE or Ragim (or whatever the company that makes Impala is called) has found a way around it.

I would be VERY grateful for advice, since I wouldn't be able to try it before buying (the 8-hour round-trip to the nearest archery shop costs as much as the bow itself, so it'll have to be though the internet).

johnnyb

Ragim

Hi Russ,

I *think* this is the make of bow that I bought for my wife after her beginners course but I think hers was the 'Victory' model. It really is a basic model, wooden handled take down recurve, although, I am told, slightly better than the sam-wha which was the alternative choice. I believe they are Italian manufacturers. It seems reasonably good for what we paid for it and, as you say, has all the relevant holes and locations. We bought it from Bowplus in Whitchurch (UK). I am fairly sure that it's a 66" bow, but stand to be corrected.

If you have a 29"+ draw then you are going to need a 70" bow (maybe 68" at least!).

http://www.ragimarchery.com/eng/prod/ragim/victory.html

If you want anymore details then I know Bowplus would be most helpful, PM me and I will give you their contact details.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Russ

This is an OK bow but is far too short for you. They make their Victory bow in 68" and 70". The Victory is a basic target archery starter bow. There are others makes such as Rolan also available at this level.

Your Club may be able to lend you such a bow - they are commonly used in Britain on Club beginner courses and for youngsters (because of their relatively low cost), or do you have to buy a bow now?

Russ

Hi johnnyb & mk1, many thanks for your replies!

If you have a 29"+ draw then you are going to need a 70" bow (maybe 68" at least!).
It's true, 62" seems very short to me, especially since right now I'm using a 70" Win&Win (don't remember offhand which model) on loan from the club.

However it seems that most "traditional" recurves are made shorter than modern target recurves. I don't know why - other than "tradition" - maybe easier to manoeuvre in the field? - but if any traditional archers could shed light on it I would be interested to know.

The reason I'm considering the Impala is that I think I might like to move to a traditional setup. Most folks at our club shoot either longbow or traditional recurve (by following suit, I figure I can get more hands-on help from them); and I feel a bit uncomfortable with their Win&Win, but since it's a rented bow that others also use I can't really change the grip or setup.

I thought the Impala might be a viable entry-level alternative to Border or Granite bows. Both Border & Granite have good reputations for not stacking at long draws - but I haven't heard the same about the Impala (yet).

(Perhaps I should have posted this thread under the "Traditional" section of the forum? If that's the case, sorry - my bad).

Again, I'm grateful for the advice, and certainly happy to hear more!

Cheers,

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Its OK Russ - some of us just have one track minds.

It come in what I would call Hunting Weights and yes you are correct it is short so its easier to carry while tracking through the forrest after your prey.

Length sizes available: 58?/60?/62? ? Code #04 Weight: 30/35/40/45/50/55lbs

For target shooting archers like a longer bows to prevent finger pinch at full draw and also like small weight increment choice as bow weight is important when you have to shoot lots of arrows in a day. When you are Hunting (or pretending) you wouldn't make so many shots so as long as you can handle the bow you will be fine.

It all depends what road you want to go down with your archery, and as with many things in life you get the quality of bow you pay for and this bow would certainly get you started, but being a wooden riser the grip is integral.

johnnyb

Apologies Russ - saw the words longrod, button and sight and thought you just wanted to be a target monkey like me ! mk1 is spot on. Best ignore me as I know next to nothing about field archery and traditional recurves! The only time I have been in the field I have shot either a longbow or an AFB.....:cheerful:

Russ

For target shooting archers like a longer bows to prevent finger pinch at full draw and also like small weight increment choice as bow weight is important when you have to shoot lots of arrows in a day. When you are Hunting (or pretending) you wouldn't make so many shots so as long as you can handle the bow you will be fine.
This is actually very enlightening - I assumed I could use this bow as both traditional recurve and (if I needed to) as a target recurve by just adding the rods & sight. But it sounds like this would be problematic, especially while my draw weight is still at the lower end (#32-34).

I may be much better off staying a "target monkey" (johnnyb actually had me pegged right!) until my technique is more secure. Probably will look for a GM or Eclipse or something similar...

Many thanks again, guys. Thanks to you I may have just avoided a rather costly lesson in bow design!

Cheers,

NOVFOX-13

As an impala owner I'll give you a run down of what you need to know about the bow.

Short length-I actually have a rare in the uk 60" impala all other stores except bow sports sell 62" and replacement limbs are all 62" 60 to 62 is very common for trad field bows if you want bigger you would have to get ilf compatable trad risers and use target limbs or a hoyt satori.The bow is very critical but as my first bow it is proberbly mostly me.

Limbs string grooves/quality control-Most lower end ragim bows are renowned string eaters so check your grooves but in my case i was largely fine I have also heard tales of the impala having some quality control issues with the limbs being twisted but most of the time and in my case you should be fine.

Setting up a trad shelf-Bear in mind that the impala has a slight curve in the bow window you won't notice without running your finger across it this makes it differant from most other low end trad recurves like the sage which has a flat bow window this means you want a rest that is made of felt or such something plyable that will hug the bow.

I currently have a bear rest on mine with a thick leather plate and stack it in the middle where the curve peaks I will be replacing it as the stiff leather plates corners keep peeling up however the bow shoots very well with a rest and button if you decide you want that.

Sights-You can fit a sight but i suspect that the sight mount was actually intended for the cheaper bow quivers more than anything since when using a sight you will have to have the pin stick out a long way before it will even peek out from behind the shelf.

Stabalizer hole-The stabalizer hole unlike other bows has a brass bushing sticking out away from the bow so if you wanted to fit a barebow weight it might break the "must mount directly to riser" rule though I am not sure it was more likely mean't for the americans who shoot the lancaster classic where I think barebow archers are allowed stabalizers.

Overall the bow is definatly a field/hunting bow more then anything else and is even marketed to the americans with a bowfishing setup.

Anyway welcome to the club of trad archers who shoot target where everything is done the hard way because we are both stubborn and increadably stupid.