Recommend me a VERY cheap spotting scope

FunTee

Right, here's my problem. For the first time both my wife and I are doing the premier events this year, which is great but has caused some problems...

The first being that she really needs some new arrows (she's shooting ACC's that are the incorrect spine at the mo and her coach has said that she should be shooting ACEs), I started practicing outside earlier this week and I've just found that out of my 8 practice ACE's 7 are cracked and I've only got 8 of my comp set left (don't ask... I had a bad run!), So I now need to get another set for me.

The problem is that we've only got one scope and since she will be shooting the ladies FITA and me the Gent's we're obviously not going to be able to share one.

Because of the outlay of two sets of ACE's I am now Brassic! I really don't want to spend ?100+ on a scope (I would if I could). So what I'm after is suggestions for a good (not excellent, just usable) scope for less than ?100, in fact closer to ?50 would be better ;) and it only has to last the one season as if she enjoys the premier events I'll get her a good scope over Xmas this year.

Thanks in advance!

Bald Eagle

I have an expensive spotting scope, 2 lenses, one 20 times, one 40 times. I went on to ebay, clicked photography and then spotting scopes and found a Luyi, 25-115 zoom by 80mm object lens, ?49.99 (?61.00) delivered. I bought it for the zoom lens only but was amazed by the quality of construction and light gathering. I won't be wrecking it for the lense, I'll be using it!!!! I can see my initials on my arrows at 70m!!!

Neo

I bought mine from Aldi for ?23 and ?10 for the tripod from argos.

Can see 100 yrds easily fine for what i want.

Yorker

Search on ebay for "LUYI Scope".

?30, ?10 postage, ?40 overall, 20-60x60mm, can see 80 yards no problem. It comes with a basic tripod but I would buy a tripod from argos so you dont have to mess around. It is FANTASIC, I love mine to bits, rubber armoured too :D

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Search on ebay for "LUYI Scope".
?30, ?10 postage, ?40 overall, 20-60x60mm, can see 80 yards no problem. It comes with a basic tripod but I would buy a tripod from argos so you dont have to mess around. It is FANTASIC, I love mine to bits, rubber armoured too :D
yeah - i have the same scope (different branding though) - for the money theyre pretty good (certainly good enough for 80 yards / 70 metres in all but the dullest light)

but DO get a reasonable tripod to perch it on

slainte :cheerful: rob

sambow

I bought a new magnalux 20x50 on ebay for ?25 works fine at 80 m. The only crtiticsm I have is thr plastic around the lens is a bit thin, twice wind has blown it over and cracked the plastic to either side of the lens. It doest effect its working though.

GreenSteve

twice wind has blown it over
Bit of advice i was given when this happened to me get a bungee and hang a weight under the centre of the tripod holds it nice and steady :)

i also have an Aldi one they are good enough out to 100yrds
and should be coming back into store soon (it was about this time last year)
buddy at club has one of the ones from Ebay and it`s just the same as my Aldi one, just cosmetically different

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Bit of advice i was given when this happened to me get a bungee and hang a weight under the centre of the tripod holds it nice and steady :)
i use a bungee and a tent peg - remove all doubt

slainte :slaphappy rob

Yorker

Yup that works except at Tournaments where you can`t leave your scope on the line :(
You have 2 minutes for a shot - have the scope in a pounch on your belt, wap it out, look, replace. Nout they can do about that as long as you aren't interefering with other archers.