Wanted Recurve sight to modify into a clout sight

Does anyone have an old, unused sight with worm drive/micro adjust?
I'm after something cheap & cheerful to modify in an attempt to make a clout sight.
It seems a shame to buy something new, to then destroy it!
Thanks a lot.
Darron

Easytigers

Apologies, I don't...but I'm intrigued! When I've shot clout, I just take everything off the riser and aim up! (tried using clouds as references but the bloody things move!). I'm not aware of the concept of a clout sight...can you (or anyone) enlighten me???

4d4m

Apologies, I don't...but I'm intrigued! When I've shot clout, I just take everything off the riser and aim up! (tried using clouds as references but the bloody things move!). I'm not aware of the concept of a clout sight...can you (or anyone) enlighten me???
I've seen all manner of weird and wonderful devices. I've used a bobble pin stuck into a adhesive foam pad on the v-bar, then because the pin head was too large I changed it to one of the fibre optic elements from the cartel recurve pin. I've now got an extra long threaded bar going down from where the normal sight pin goes into the block.

Mirrors and prisms aren't allowed in AGB clout; in recurve anyway, not sure about compound. So you need something adjustable with a reasonably precise aiming mark/pointer down underneath the grip or thereabouts. It depends on your trajectory, grip, form etc etc where your arrows go at 180 yds relative to the riser. A lot of folks sight on some other object in view as the flag may be obscured by the riser or the wrist. Others tune their setups so they go left or right in order to sight on the flag.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
None of the rules mention mirrors. Compound unlimited and recurve freestyle specifically mention prisms (compound: allowed, recurve: banned). I think the attitude of a judge would be "it isn't allowed", because it's not mentioned as being allowed, for recurve. For compound unlimited, I think a mirror could be argued for, as it's not electronic and there's a kind of blanket "anything not electric and not excluded, is allowed".

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Looking at the rules it looks to me like mirrors are allowed. I mean, when you think of a reflecting device, who thinks of prisms? You just wouldn't - you'd say "mirror" if your terminology was loose or "reflecting device" if you were banning everything. Prism is just too specific.

Having said that I wouldn't bet my competition entry on that argument - I'd want clarification in writing before I put any effort or money into a sight.

I've seen all manner of weird and wonderful devices. I've used a bobble pin stuck into a adhesive foam pad on the v-bar, then because the pin head was too large I changed it to one of the fibre optic elements from the cartel recurve pin. I've now got an extra long threaded bar going down from where the normal sight pin goes into the block.

<snip>
I've seen all sorts too (in the 2 clout competitions I've been to to date).
Sight tracks extended down, compound scopes mounted on long rods and pins in foam pads on risers.
My attempt involved a bracket between the long rod mount and the lower stabiliser mounting hole. I cobbled a cheap recurve sight onto this. But being cheap, it slipped and later broke... hence my request for a more substantial replacement.

4d4m

Looking at the rules it looks to me like mirrors are allowed. I mean, when you think of a reflecting device, who thinks of prisms? You just wouldn't - you'd say "mirror" if your terminology was loose or "reflecting device" if you were banning everything. Prism is just too specific.

Having said that I wouldn't bet my competition entry on that argument - I'd want clarification in writing before I put any effort or money into a sight.
Prisms are reflecting devices; that is their purpose in this kind of arrangement. They have other optical uses too - diffraction for instance - but in this use case, it's their reflecting properties that are key.

They are used in binoculars to reflect the light back and forth to make the light path longer in a compact device, and in periscopes to angle the light path. Otherwise the overall length of the binoculars would make them cumbersome (think two old-fashioned telescopes joined together)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Prisms are reflecting devices; that is their purpose in this kind of arrangement. They have other optical uses too - diffraction for instance - but in this use case, it's their reflecting properties that are key.

They are used in binoculars to reflect the light back and forth to make the light path longer in a compact device, and in periscopes to angle the light path. Otherwise the overall length of the binoculars would make them cumbersome (think two old-fashioned telescopes joined together)
That was kind of my point - although a prism is a reflecting device, it's not the term thatyou would pick to represent all reflecting devices - you'd say reflecting device or, if you were being careless with terminology, you'd say mirror. Leading me to think that the word prism was carefully chosen and specifically banned.

4d4m

That was kind of my point - although a prism is a reflecting device, it's not the term thatyou would pick to represent all reflecting devices - you'd say reflecting device or, if you were being careless with terminology, you'd say mirror. Leading me to think that the word prism was carefully chosen and specifically banned.
Possibly, though this is a high degree of precision of terminology. This isn't supported by lumping in prisms with "or other magnifying device" which a prism is not.

Could it not simply be that at the time the rules were drafted, they were aw are of the existence of prismatic sights and explicitly banned those, forgetting to include mirrors that achieve the same purpose?

Either way it isn't a very strong case for the rules allowing use of mirror-based periscopic sights in recurve clout.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
World archery is (unusually) no clearer...
11.1.5.1. It shall not incorporate a prism, lens, or any other magnifying device, levelling, electric or electronic devices nor shall it provide for more than one sighting point.

Does anyone have an old, unused sight with worm drive/micro adjust?
I'm after something cheap & cheerful to modify in an attempt to make a clout sight.
It seems a shame to buy something new, to then destroy it!
Thanks a lot.
Darron
Does no-one have an old sight that's surplus to requirements?