removing nocks from wooden arrows

hening

Hi all,
I wonder what the best way to remove glued on nocks from wooden arrows are. My arrows are timber creek. I have no idea what the nocks are glued with. Is there an easy way to get the nocks of, or is it just elbowgrease or a dremel ?
best regards
Henning

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
you could try dangling the nock in boiling water and keep trying to twist it with pliers. it may soften it enough. I take my piles of by gentle heat on the cooker flame, haven't tried it with nocks yet, smell of plastic might be a bit much

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've always removed plastic nocks with a hot air paint stripper or a small flame. The nock softens and pulls off. But I've always used fetching glue to fix them with. Other glues may be more stubborn.

Corax67

I recently replaced some worn nocks on a set of club wooden arrows by dipping the nocks in a small saucepan of boiling water for a few minutes each. They almost dropped away from the shafts when I gripped them with pliers expecting to have to twist or pull them free.

No idea what glue had been used but residue smelt a bit 'araldite' like, that old slightly fishy smell.

Karl