Repairing Monsterbows Phoenix (leverbow) - needs powerlimbs.

AndyW

Geoffretired sort of answered the question i didn't ask. In my head i was thinking it wouldn't have let off due to being a no cam so i couldn't see the advantage over a recurve aside from it looks very cool.
Do you know approximately what % let off you get at FD for the camless and with cam? Interested.

Thorvald

With or without cams, the let-off for these leverbows, can be set to about anything from 0% to 100% - ok - let's say 99%, because if we reach 100% the outboards will just stay standing in full draw length position and the bow wouldn't be able to shoot. Of course the possibilities with let-off also depends somewhat of the draw length settings. If anything else is not changed, a slightly longer draw length will increase the let-off. This is adjusted by the draw stops. The let-off is comming from the outboards and on a camless, also from the position of the cables relative to each other.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The leverage of the outboards works like the the jack they use in F1 (looks like a modified sack trolley). As the weight of the car comes up and closer to being directly above the pivot point, the weight on the handles falls off.
The neat trick is to set the draw to full length; the weight is now zero and the bow just relaxes to that position. You can change the string with no tools.

Thorvald

The neat trick is to set the draw to full length; the weight is now zero and the bow just relaxes to that position. You can change the string with no tools.
Yes, that is one way to explain the 100% let-off. But that is not how you normally would change your string - there is a much easier way to do that. :) Just for other readers information.

AndyW

I think I'm now going to be on the lookout for another second hand bow when this Covid kak is over. I really like the sound of these, I'd dismissed them up until now purely due to ignorance. Thanks both.

Thorvald

These leverbows, especially to my opinion the camless versions, are indeed very nice bows. There is a facebook group called "Lever lovers" - I think that might also be a good place to be on look-out.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, you are right about changing the string; it is a neat trick, but not as safe as the official way.
I think there is a lot of potential for enthusiasts to take the basic principle and add things to make them something special.