[OTHER] Right bow length

Drake267

Hi all, after getting back into archery I've just found a local club that shoots 3D. Really fancy this but don't want to carry round my target compound. So, I've got a samick discovery field recurve riser and would like the matching limbs. How do I determine if I need the medium or long to make either a 60 inch or 62 inch bow? 17 inch riser. I've asked a couple of shops but they just seem to tout what they have in stock. Not really what I want to hear. Sorry if this is a daft question but just want to make sure I have the right limbs for myself. Thanks.

Brett

Geophys

I shoot medium Uukha limbs on a 17" Border ILF riser to make a 60" bow. The 17" riser is 8" shorter than the standard 25" one so short limbs will make a 58" bow, medium 60", and long 62". Using limbs that are rated for a 25" riser, as ILF ones are, add roughly 8 pounds in their rated draw weight when used on a 17" riser, 32Ib limbs will draw about 40Ib on a 17" riser.

Drake267

Well that's what I was thinking, use the medium limbs to make a 60 inch bow. They are discovery limbs too so are made for the bows riser at the correct poundage. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the 62 inch bow over the 60 inch set up. I'm just concerned at getting the right set up for me. I basically need to know do I need the 60 or 62. Compound I'm using a 50lb mybo origin at 28.25 draw length. Cheers.

LittleSkink

FWIW - and your mileage may vary - I have 28.5" draw and am 6ft. A 62" works fine for me, but I wouldnt go shorter, for me. Come from a recurve target background (where longer feels normal) and only shoot recurve not compound though. To me compounds "feel" short, and what feels right matters a lot

Am in the process of getting a 19" ILF riser for 3D/Field and plan to start with long limbs to get 64", because in my head longer limbs are smoother on short risers, for taller folks, at higher draw lengths. My concern about 64" is it might.will be bit of a handful in the woods but limbs are cheap enough / easily traded, so I can always change my mind

Dont know of that helps

Riceburner

Up to you I'd have thought - what you feel most happy using and carrying about.

If you're shooting field then bear in mind that you're carrying the bow all the way around, moving from target to target.

With that in mind I shoot field with a 50" horsebow (previously I used a (iirc) 60" takedown recurve). The ultra-light, ultra-short bow makes moving about over the course a lot easier (for me) and while it might possibly detract from my scores*, it doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment. :)

* I really don't care how well I shoot, as long as it's slightly better than last time ( ;) ), and that I've had a good day's fun! The latter is far more important than the former - but I know that I'm probably in the minority of people holding that viewpoint. ;)

Corax67

On the odd couple of times I’ve shot a field course I took along my either my recurve minus all its dangly bits or my flatbow, both of which are 68” and had no problem moving around.

Did swap quivers after my first session as my usual recurve one is steeply angled making the arrows catch a lot on shrubbery. Put an extra loop onto my longbow quiver so it can be hung vertically and life was much easier.

Karl

LittleSkink

* I really don't care how well I shoot, as long as it's slightly better than last time ( ;) ), and that I've had a good day's fun! The latter is far more important than the former - but I know that I'm probably in the minority of people holding that viewpoint. ;)
Thank you for validating what pretty much sums up my approach to archery - and why I gave up target archery because my club only seemed to focus on scores, averages and numbers. At least I dont feel so alone as a heretic who is out for fun not scores

Riceburner

Thank you for validating what pretty much sums up my approach to archery - and why I gave up target archery because my club only seemed to focus on scores, averages and numbers. At least I dont feel so alone as a heretic who is out for fun not scores
There's plenty of field archers who feel the same, although I accept that I'm probably the least competitive person I know (well - most of the time ;) ). I've never understood the rationale behind getting pissed off while trying to do an activity you're supposed to be enjoying.

When the fun stops, stop.

;)

LittleSkink

I am competitive, but only with myself

Archery to me one of those immersive activities where a big part of the experience is being mindful, ie to do it well being 100% present really helps (like art, climbing etc). And mindful activities are, for me at least, truly relaxing. Kyudo is on my list to learn on day . . .