Ring or spot

Apollo

Ironman
Hello.
I think it would be a great help if some of the top archers would give thier feelings on what they feel is best to shoot with on a FITA. If it's a spot ,what size is it and what mag is thier lens. The same for a ring. I have shot both and am sitting on the fence right now,although i feel that the spot could encourage punch shots if the form is not there where as the ring draws you into the dark spot which can be a tear in the face or a clump of arrows (by spot i mean 8-12mm spot ,not dot). I dont want to upset anyone but when i asked for top archers to respond to this i mean shooters at GMB level,that way we will have coments from people who Know what they are talking about and dont just have an idear about how they think it should be.

ThePinkOne

Hello.
I think it would be a great help if some of the top archers would give thier feelings on what they feel is best to shoot with on a FITA. If it's a spot ,what size is it and what mag is thier lens. The same for a ring. I have shot both and am sitting on the fence right now,although i feel that the spot could encourage punch shots if the form is not there where as the ring draws you into the dark spot which can be a tear in the face or a clump of arrows (by spot i mean 8-12mm spot ,not dot). I dont want to upset anyone but when i asked for top archers to respond to this i mean shooters at GMB level,that way we will have coments from people who Know what they are talking about and dont just have an idear about how they think it should be.
I don't shoot at anything like GMB level but I have found out that scope inserts are a very personal thing. I think you will find almost as many variations of scope inserts as there are archers..... from those who use open scope (no lens) to those with a high mag and big fat dot. Plus some archers use different inserts indoors and out.

P.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I am currently shooting a small 0.5mm fiber optic spot, on a 0.8 lens. around 0.75 appears to be the most popular lens, but that does not tell you a lot as the actual magnification depends how far the lens is away from your eye which differs from archer to archer.

The choice of dots rings and the relative size of each is a purely subjective thing lots of people will have lots of different preferences for lots of different reasons. Try and see what you like. I read recently some of the Top archers are using a 5mm dot as it just obscures the Gold at certain distances.

I would not limit replies to just GMB or above there are a lot of people below that level with a lot of experience and good advice to give.

F

flamingbladerider

I'll answer your question Apollo.

I was using an 8mm ring and recently went over to using a 5mm dot. I find the dot centres a lot better. I shoot bowman scores with this dot. My oppo i shoot with uses a 5mm ring and shoots as well as i do.

Marcus26

I am currently using a tiny tiny dot on a 0.5 diopler lens. I like the small dot because I can focus on holding the sucker as still as possible while working the release. To get really good shots away I need the feedback of what my sight is doing as I use the release aid to make sure that I am maintaining my bow positioning. I do not punch so that is not a problem.

P

pyroarch57

Hello.
Just look at what most of the pro`s are using and draw your conclusions from that.

Apollo

Ironman
hello again

Thanks for all the replys so far. It's good to hear what other archers feel on this subject. I am like all archers trying to improve my scores and Markus's reply on what he see's through the scope is what im after.P.s. i do shoot at GMB level myself.

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I use both ring and small dot best of both worlds.
I tend to use the ring at the shorter distances and the dot at the longer ones 60yards and above I don't know why i just find it works for me:mind-blow

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I use both ring and small dot best of both worlds.
I tend to use the ring at the shorter distances and the dot at the longer ones 60yards and above I don't know why i just find it works for me:mind-blow

You have to be awkward :raspberry:raspberry:raspberry

I use a ring :beer:

Adam

Outdoors I use a ring and a dot, and I change the dot for different distances (2.5mm for 90m and 50m and 3.5mm for 70m/30m).

Indoors I use a lens with no ring, but a big (6mm) dot and a much shorter sight extension so that the dot all but covers the gold.

Adam

GeoffT

Ironman
Outdoors I use a ring and a dot, and I change the dot for different distances (2.5mm for 90m and 50m and 3.5mm for 70m/30m).

Indoors I use a lens with no ring, but a big (6mm) dot and a much shorter sight extension so that the dot all but covers the gold.

Adam
Thats interesting Adam. Why change between 70 and 50, when the size of the target is virtually identical through the scope?

Adam

I reckon that 90 and 50 look pretty similar, so I use the same size dot for both. Same for 70/30m. I've tried avariety of sizes, and have just reached a conclusion that weems to work OK for me.

Adam