S.C.A. - A Parallel Trad Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony08

I was just checking Yahoo Groups for archery when I came across such quotes as:
The purpose of this group is to discuss target and combat archery in the Kingdom of the West.
and
This group was formed as a discussion list for the advancement of combat archery in the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
and
This group is for discussion of Archery in the East Kingdom of the SCA by its Marshals.
Yahoo! Groups : Search Results

I initially thought it could have something to do with computer gaming, but no it appears that a society has kingdoms all over the globe (apparently I live in Drachenwald) with people doing all sorts of mediaeval stuff including, it seems, archery.
Kingdom Of Drachenwald

Perhaps you all know about them already but I live a sheltered life. Are they some kind of umbrella organisation for re-enactment?

Tony

Thunk

Ironman
So far as I have been able to determine, it started in the USA. They give themselves fancy medieval-sounding titles, and all the action takes place between the ears I think. It's like Dungeons and Dragons, with added tedium.

See here for the list of directors, complete with anachronistic titles as well as their real-life personas which they would obviously rather leave behind.

Sad people...very sad.

Last edited:

Lord_Azrael

The SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) is, from what I gather, a group that have fairly traditional based events from the middle ages through the renaissance period, and then I believe they also have the 'fantasy' element.

The one especially good thing that comes of this is that people are having fun and keeping a part of (mainly British) history alive, something that we Brits seem to have trouble organising much of. I believe many things like this are a good way to detract from the true sad state that our world is in today, with many of us struggling just to lead a reasonable life - a bit of escapist fun!

Whatever your thoughts on their activities, it certainly beats hanging around street corners mugging people and causing a general nuisance.
Official website: Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

Araglin

Ironman
I was an SCA hanger-on for a year or so, a while back. They're not exactly re-enactors: it's more about fun than historicity. They practise - often extremely well - any sort of medieval or renaissance art, craft or pastime, from cooking medieval recipes to hand-to-hand combat (using wooden weapons). And archery. At any big event, everyone will be in some kind of medieval or renaissance costume - usually self made from period fabrics. Everyone chooses a persona, from any part of the Old World and any time between the fall of the Western Roman Empire and 1600AD. All periods and places are mixed up together, but everyone is 'My Lord' or 'My Lady'. They have a structure of kingdoms, principalities & shires (I'm writing from the Shire of Mynydd Gwyn [Wales & the West], in the Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis [UK], in the Kingdom of Drachenwald [Europe, Middle East & Africa]), and their rules evolve with the decisions of the various monarchs - all of whom are chosen by combat and rule for a year. All great fun, and nice, talented people, but not historical re-enactment. Nor quite to my taste.

JohnK

Not terribly sad at all - most of the people involved do so for a bit of escapism, to exercise their imagination and to practice a particular art or craft. This can be anything from period-style fencing to weaving tapestries, making their own period costume or even cooking. The choice of persona doesn't really have much to do with playing a role in a roleplaying game sense - it's more to do with picking a name appropriate to the costume or skills you want to practice :)

As in any hobby, there are people in the SCA who are pretentious and take it all a bit too seriously, but it's mostly harmless.

I've attended one event and decided it wasn't for me, SCA archery is quite fun as I recall. They have a fairly short round that goes from 40 to 30 to 20 yards, and finishes with a speed round at 20 yards.

Haywain

I once met some members of SCA at an SPTA archery event. All very friendly and discussing the various changes they were going to make to their costumes for a medieval event taking place at some castle in the Midlands.

They were all going to war and said they were out to practice using their blunts and flu-flu's ready for firing at the other army.

Not for me, but they enjoyed themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.