Scopes

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
Hi all, just started shooting 90m so I'll need to invest in a scope sooner or later.
I just wondered what other people were using and if anyone had any advice about anything I should be looking for or avoiding.
Any advice appreciated. :)

Shirt

Whatever you get, get one with an angled eyepiece or it'll drive you insane.

I got a scope and tripod for 70 quid off eBay, and it works fine. Pretty good quality, although if you're on a target with 4 people all shooting the same colour nocks into the same place it's probably a bit iffy...

Archery1st

Going for a scope can involve loads of money or not if you are on a budget, ideally get a waterproof/fog proof/nitrogen purged one with about a 60+mm objective lens and about a 20x eye piece, zoom optional but not really needed as clarity of picture does drop.</p>

Now thats the best/ideal setup :p? however if you are in the market for a good/cheap scope do look on ebay there are some great deals available (search for spotting scope in all of ebay), looking at spending about ?100 will get you a good clear scope which is rain proof (just don't drop it in the water and it'll suit almost all your needs.</p>

However there is something way more important than a scope, trust me :p? spend your money on a GOOD tripod, none of these ?20 lightweight ones which wobble at the slightest of breaths on it, let alone UK wind and rain.? If you have a good tripod which is stable and well built it will make up for a poorer quality scope by giving you a still sight picture, so much easier to see who's arrows are who's when its still.? My last scope cost me loads and I mean loads, but the tripod was almost as much but it was so clear i could see the veins in the wings of a bee at 70m, i put my scope on someones cheap tripod and we could only just see the the bee.</p>

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Archery1st - 12/5/2005 1:51 PM

My last scope cost me loads and I mean loads, but the tripod was almost as much but it was so clear i could see the veins in the wings of a bee at 70m, i put my scope on someones cheap tripod and we could only just see the the bee.</p>
</p>

C'mon, Archery1st, spill the beans - how much can we expect to pay for a scope like that? :)</p>

Archery1st

You really don't want to know, suffice to say it was very very expensive, thank goodness I was sponsored by the manufacturer as I could not warrant going anywhere near the costs involved, a divorce would be cheaper :p</p>

Mick

Ironman
Ok my 2 pence worth.
I'm of a certain age , the age when my eyesight is shall we say not what it was.
I've been shooting for about five years and up until this season was using a mighty midget scope (20 x 60) with no zoom. At 100yds I could see the arrows ok but sorting out which were mine had become a major problem even if we all used different coloured nocks. So the scope was not much help. I decided to get a more powerful model, trouble is when you go more powerful than about 20 x 60 it starts to get expensive. I found the answer on E bay (do a search for spotting scopes)
and decided to order a Yukon 21032 with a price tag of about ?160 it boasts a 100mm lens x 25 but it also sports a main objective lens (zoom) that gives X100 magnification.... awesome. I can count the spots on a ladybirds wings at 100yds and focus it down to view just the gold at all shooting distances (I should be that good that I only need to see the gold at 100yds ;)) Drawbacks-yeah there are a few- Firstly it's BIG ,two or more times the size of my old scope, then as has already been stated, my old tripod was woefully inadequate for the job so I had to get a new one. I chose a video model from Jessops around eighty smackers (Ouch) and the final drawback is the not so polite p..s taking you get on the shooting line. Funny how they all want to have a go though. All in all I reckon it was money well spent I can spot my arrows easily even at 100yds and ,as an added bonus, I can see into every bedroom window for miles around ;)