Scores and Progression?

tony08

Just a very basic question here.

If you're shooting 12 x 3 arrows over 20 yards (recurve), what kind of consistent average score is generally considered good enough to warrant progress to 30 yards, then 40 yards and so on?

simon m

Ironman
As a guide I'd say if your grouping well six arrows at a time & scoring about 48-54 for six arrows (thats 9,9,9,7,7,7 & better) then a move up is warranted

If YOU want to shoot longer distances then have a go!.. Just be aware small error are amplified the further you shoot, so don;t get disheartened by misses & ones early on.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
A lot of clubs operate a 252 scheme that requires you to be able to score 252 points (using 5-zone scoring on a 122 cm face) from 3 dozen arrows before moving up to the next distance. This requires an average of 7 points per arrow. It's a good idea to do this until you're shooting 252 at 50 yards, then don't worry about it for the longer distances.

tony08

Thanks guys.

Another silly question...

Is it a case that if you shoot in yards, you record scores using 5-zone system and if using meters, you use the metric?

rohenwto

Thanks guys.

Another silly question...

Is it a case that if you shoot in yards, you record scores using 5-zone system and if using meters, you use the metric?
Imperial (ie yards) 5 zone scoring, except for the portsmouth round ( 5doz at 20 yds, shot indoors) which uses 10 zone scoring

Metric. All 10 zone scoring

not dead yet

Ironman
wasn't this explained the week after your beginners course.

i.e. 7th week pay GNAS fee's. have explained etiquette, rounds, scoring, how long you may use beginners equipment etc.

addo

Just a very basic question here.

If you're shooting 12 x 3 arrows over 20 yards (recurve), what kind of consistent average score is generally considered good enough to warrant progress to 30 yards, then 40 yards and so on?
I'm assuming that a)122cm face and b)you've only just started archery.At 20y aim for 252+ then move to 30y and aim for 252+.Once you've progressed to 40y shoot 6 arrow ends and aim for 252+.Be patient,and get used to scoring all gold ends before moving up a distance.

As the winter is almost here,your club may start to shoot what is known as a frostbite(3 dozen@30M on an 80cm face).Shoot these rounds whatever your skill level.This round may seem hard to you but when you go back to shoot on an 122cm face it will look massive and your scores should improve quite quickly.

The above should see you through the winter and then you'll be ready next summer for the most essential round to help you improve at target archery IMO.......The Short Metric......GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

tony08

Thanks Addo,
Good advice. I managed 290 last night, so that's something to build on. I'm happy to relax and work on technique at the moment without worrying overmuch about scores but it's useful to know the ins and outs of it all, as I never used to do tournaments or bother keeping scores at all when I shot many many moons ago - too busy just enjoying it.

Hence my ability with the bow, which is definitely not beginner, but little idea of the 'book-keeping' side of it. It puzzles some people - but that could just be me anyway.:lookaroun

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Ability to shoot a dozen arrows straight scoring 6 or better is usually my guidance on such matters

Of course, some will move up distances even though they can't get all arrows on the FACE at their current distance. :talktothe

addiakogiannis

Distance is just few clicks on the sight

Ability to shoot a dozen arrows straight scoring 6 or better is usually my guidance on such matters

Of course, some will move up distances even though they can't get all arrows on the FACE at their current distance. :talktothe

The difference between 10metrs and 90meters is just 20-30 clicks on your site.

If you want to work on your technique shoot in 5-10metrs and with your eyes closed in order to feel your body.

After you are in pure harmony with your body shoot at any distance you like.

addo

The difference between 10metrs and 90meters is just 20-30 clicks on your site.
Not with my poundage and sight its not.More like drop it to the bottom and sight bar in kinda thing :)

If you want to work on your technique shoot in 5-10metrs and with your eyes closed in order to feel your body.
Good advice....but if you can,get someone to check your form first.That way you'll know that what your feeling with you eyes closed is correct form.

addiakogiannis

Not with my poundage and sight its not.More like drop it to the bottom and sight bar in kinda thing :)

Good advice....but if you can,get someone to check your form first.That way you'll know that what your feeling with you eyes closed is correct form.
I am true fan on short range shooting. this is where things build up.

Once I realized that shooting in long range is just a few clicks adjustment and nothing more than that, I began building up my scores. :cheerful:

addo

I am true fan on short range shooting. this is where things build up.
Welcome to AIUK addiakogiannis :wave:

We are as one on this mate :thumbsup: Proof that this is true,is that a month ago i hit a brick wall in relation to shooting 70m+.I just couldn't get it right.At 90m all i could do was kill worms.So i spent a month shooting 30y-60y only,and now,hey presto,i'm back in the groove.

There are people who deem short distances as "unworthy" but i'm not one of them.I know long distance appeals to all newbies,but to them i say,have patience.It WILL pay dividends.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
There are people who deem short distances as "unworthy"
My thinking on this is that the Arrow doesn't know how far away the target is.....

Shooting at short distance is great for confidence building, and also for technique building. Since you are not worring about hitting the target, you can more easily get into a good groove which will improve your form for all distances.

Grum

I can understand the question on this though. From a newbs point of view, I'm itching to push the distance out, once I become a full member I'd really like to start heading towards classifications / handicaps. In my understanding for a gent that means I need to shoot at 50yards/metres (depending on imperial/metric round). I guess I'm a touch childish and impatient and want to do everything now, but every sport I've tried, I've tended to push hard at. It's very easy to be impatient! - I feel the same about buying my own kit too. :sigh:

Last shoot (week 5 of my beginners I pushed out to shoot a long metric IV (40m/30m)), scored 418 from the 6 dozen which I was pretty pleased with. Figured that shooting 500 would be enough to push myself out a further distance, so that's close to the 252 mark except for bias over the two distances (shooting barebow btw)

I guess I will have to work a new mantra.....
"Must be patient Must be patient Must be patient"

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I can understand the question on this though. From a newbs point of view, I'm itching to push the distance out, once I become a full member I'd really like to start heading towards classifications / handicaps. In my understanding for a gent that means I need to shoot at 50yards/metres (depending on imperial/metric round). I guess I'm a touch childish and impatient and want to do everything now, but every sport I've tried, I've tended to push hard at. It's very easy to be impatient! - I feel the same about buying my own kit too. :sigh:

Last shoot (week 5 of my beginners I pushed out to shoot a long metric IV (40m/30m)), scored 418 from the 6 dozen which I was pretty pleased with. Figured that shooting 500 would be enough to push myself out a further distance, so that's close to the 252 mark except for bias over the two distances (shooting barebow btw)

I guess I will have to work a new mantra.....
"Must be patient Must be patient Must be patient"

It will depend on the attitude and rules of your club really... if they are ok with it and think you will handle the further distance then there is no reason why you cant :beer:

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My thinking is if you can hit the target with every arrow then its time to move up. Personally I did the longest I could reach no matter how many I hit. My thinking was ill just keep trying untill I hitt all 6 then all in the black then blue and so on. iot worked for me but a good guide is something like the 252 scheme.

I would say if you cant hit 12 arrows in 12 arrows then dont go up to the next distance untill you can.

tony08

I don't really mind being at 20 yards, as I have the notion that each concentric circle can also represent the target as it would be at a greater distance.
So a group all in the 9/10 zone looks great at 20 yards but unless it's tight around (or in) the 10 it will be shabbier at 40 yards and all over the place at 60 yards etc. So the challenge is still there, it's just how you look at it.

geoffk

I havnt shot anything over 30m in the last year.

I think I would be absolutely fine at 50m on a long metric, but still want to be better at 30m :)