Screw in tips/blunts?

LittleSkink

My daughters are showing an interest in 3D/field archery so I was thinking of making them a set of cheap (but decent carbon/alloy shaft) blunts to practice.

Bit of a newb question - I have seen screw in blunts but dont know anything about this whole screw in thing - is there 1 universal thread so I can swap blunts in and out at will, or is it more complicated than that?

English Bowman

Why do you want blunts to practice? Surely you can practice at the club, then you'd want to use the same arrows as competition.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
To answer your question, as long as you stay away from some exotic fitments like Easton's Deep Six, screw in points are all compatible.

However, to echo what EB said, why? I've never shot 3D or field with anything other than ordinary points. Blunts are more of a stump shooting thing.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Please don't assume blunts are safer than points! They are still designed to kill, but by shock rather than bleeding. Range safety is the important thing.

I've experimented with screw-in blunts and found them somewhat rickety - the ones on the market are of mediocre quality and unscrew very easily in use.

LittleSkink

Thanks folks, the blunts are for playing/stumping in the woods

And TJM you are right, the screw in blunts arent particularly robust. If they unscrew slightly and that gets missed the insert and tip threads get mangled on the next hard hit. Lost a couple of inserts/tips that way. PTFE plumbers tape didnt work so going to hunt out some threadlock

My daughter insists on shooting "proper" wooden arrows with feather fletching and they seem to survive better with push on blunts, though her breakage rate is similar to mine (higher if you ignore the breakages from hitting my own arrows)

English Bowman

Be careful about playing in the woods, unless you have access to private woodland you could be reported as either being in possession of an offensive weapon, or hunting. Both of which are illegal. The fact that your arrows have blunts won't help as blunts are originally designed for birding or hunting small game.