Second clout tournament

4d4m

Crikey! (I feel this is inadequate and want to post something else but family forum and all that!)

I was at the National Clout Champs today and I improved somewhat on the first clout a week ago. At that one I got 103 and a white tassel, this time....148!
Black tassel land!

Don't think I can keep up this rate of progress!

Corax67

Of course you can - stay positive and who knows what you can achieve

congratulations

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Don't think I can keep up this rate of progress!
Progress is a great boost to confidence. And well done to you.
What really matters, is that you DO progress; not how much.
We must be realistic. The rate of progress slows down for everyone. Gaining an extra 10 points is easy enough when you shoot a 400 P/mouth ,for example. Gaining 10 points when you shoot 590 takes far more work; the opportunities for improving form as so much harder to discover.

Alison

Well done, particularly as the wind was a bit of a problem. From the good-natured grumbling on my target I think most of us scored lower than we hoped. My score went down as much as yours went up! But for all that, it was a brilliant day.

4d4m

Yes I heard the wind is usually challenging there. It's in a natural bowl, in the floodplain of a small valley. The wind can swirl round unpredictably.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

4d4m

Thanks. To be honest though, on Saturday not a single arrow did I see at any point between loose and collecting it. In my early practice sessions this summer I would look for the arrow flight but found the quick switching of attention from aim point to arrow path was affecting my follow through.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would look for the arrow flight but found the quick switching of attention from aim point to arrow path was affecting my follow through.
A good few archers do that all the time and don't know they are doing it; a secret arrow spreading device.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I do it, but then I shoot longbow so can see my arrows in the air, and use them as guides to how the wind is blowing.
I do it too and I use a compound. It's the way it is done that matters.heehee
It is possible to see the arrows fly almost as " out of the corner of the eye". You are looking in that general area anyway, so peripheral vision is ok.
The danger comes when the bow is moved aside to get a better view. Or the head is moved for the same reason. Sometimes the change is very subtle, only the eyes move focus from target to arrow. Then the danger can be that the eye change, is made early enough to catch the arrow close to the start of the flight. That can lead to looking away before the arrow leaves, in order to be able to see it at all.

4d4m

With a compound I guess your bow isn't jumping as much as a recurve (might be wrong though), or at least your aim mark is closer to the arrow trajectory. With a longbow then it's a case of slower arrows in a higher trajectory so easy to spot.

The thing about follow through is that in theory it matters not a jot what your bow does after the arrow has gone (can also substitute bullet/pellet and rifle for bow and arrow), but that over time it can lead you to anticipating the movement before the projectile has gone.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
but that over time it can lead you to anticipating the movement before the projectile has gone.
Yes that's exactly what I was saying in different words.
The follow through happens at both ends, bow arm and draw arm; usually they copy each other, too. If one moves too soon........