SF backpack or Aurora City Pack?

Ken Davies

Hi.

Has anyone got or seen in the flesh either the SF backpack and or the Aurora City Pack? I want a new case I can use on my bike and as they seem around the same price I wondered if anyone had one. On the website the SF looks a bit big which is my only worry with it. The Aurora may be the same size, as there is no scale ref on their site.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ken

MINIMike

I've got an SF pack Ken and I'm very impressed.

It's big enough for 2 rigs, it's got plenty of pockets, nooks and crannys and it's very comfortable on (my) back.

Can't say enough good things about it.

As someone else has mentioned on here recently, you may have difficulty if you use a Hoyt Helix or similar as the sections are not adjustable.

As with everything, try before you buy.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I can give you dimensions later (unless someone beats me to it) but the Aurora City Pack looks approximately 28" tall and it IS about the same as the SF backpack. They're fine for bike use however (depending on how tall you are I guess!). There's not much to choose between them really (although the Aurora WILL accomodate a riser with a Tec bar). Highly recommended for summer use. For winter, especially if it's going to be sitting in a field, I'd get something a bit more waterproof.

Ifor_Bentun

I have a SF backpack, it's very good, plenty of room for riser, limbs and bowstand in the main compartmentalised (hope there's such a word) body and more than enough pockets etc for your quiver, short rods and bits 'n bobs (my long rod goes in the arrow tube). It looks good, appears sturdy and well made and I'm absolutely delighted with it. ?65 at Bowsports.

jaarus

I use the SF backpack and it is indeed big enough for any gear you wish to take!

I carry:
Riser / Limbs / Stand / Tripod / arrows / longrod - in the main section
Chestguard / armband - one side
v-bar and shortrods - other side
scope - front pocket one
all my gubbins (screwdrivers, strings etc) - front pocket two
sight - front pocket 3

As has been said its only drawback it that the sections are too small for a tec bridged riser - in fact my Toz with large front arrowplate extention is about as big as it should take.

I do love it though - I was carrying a load of bags bag and forth now I just load myself up like a Packmule and away I go!
Still have to carry my thermos and quiver though :cheerful:

....perhaps I am bringing too much stuff..?
NAH!

D

Deleted member 946

I've got a SF and it's great - carries everything I need. The inside pockets can be adjusted at the end away from the arrow tube& I would be surprised if a Hoyt riser wouldn't fit - I can get a 5 tube quiver in there diagonally (but I only have one riser and set of limbs).
On a bike, be warned that the back pack sits very high. My kit seems to weigh a lot and with a lightweight bike the effect on my combined centre of gravity is significant. I haven't done it yet but it would not take much of a pothole to have me over the handlebars! :fight:

X10-arrow

Just to say I have a SF back pack and its fantastic..It also can hold my Helix and Aerotec riser with limbs foldable bow rest and arrow tube (which you can store your long rod)...so there is quite some weight there and ive had it for a while and there is no sign of any wear or tear..as for storing the Quiver just wrap it around outside the bag..and the great thing is it has a waterfroof coat to prodtect it from the rain ...hope this helps

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
well - i have an SF and zoe has the aurora so i can do a bit of a direct comparison -

they are pretty much the same size

the SF pack is heavier than the aurora so that might be an issue if youre cycling - on the other hand its more rigid too so might offer more protection for your kit - the aurora is like a giant rucksack while the SF is more like a soft bowcase with backpack straps if that makes sense

i think the aurora JUST has the edge on overall storage space but i like the way the SF has lots of little pockets better than the auroras larger storage areas (that do have some zipped compartments in them but theyre not as tough as the ones in the SF)

the SF is top loading which has knocked one of my limbsavers off while sliding the limb into the limbholder - can also make putting the riser in a tiny bit awkward since i leave my button in usually and have a bracket on the riser for my sling which is obviously wider than the makers of the pack considered - the aurora loads sideways which DOES make setting up / packing away a little easier

the SF comes with its own arrow tube and sight case - the aurora doesnt

the aurora has a webbing panel on the back (useful for holding the scope tripod) - the SF doesnt

both have a integral waterproof cover

overall i like the SF better - it just feels lke its doing a better job of protecting my gear the aurora is a little bit floppy for my liking - but then zoe prefers the aurora - my SF is just too heavy for her

slainte :scratchch: rob

reckless

Fonz Awardee
I use the sf back pack. find my helix fits in just fine, i do put the helix in its original cover bag as well so plenty of room. carries every thing i need including the flask of tea. another archer at the club who cycles and is a lot smaller than me also uses one he about 5,6 or 7 im 6,1. he also carries a ton of gear with no problems..
is sturdy and well put together worth the money...

Jumile

Ironman
I have the Aurora pack - arrived this week from Bowsports (cheapest) and is now stuffed full of everything I need (and more), with plenty of space remaining.

It even accommodates my large bow stand (the type that allows for forward and on-its-back positioning of the bow), longrod (in its own OB case), quiver, and arrows (in an arrow case). There's still room for jackets/jumpers and whatever else I might like to put in there.

I'm sitting at a customer site in Sw*nd*n with it sitting next to me (no time to go home before going shooting tonight) and it just looks like a large backpack with a funny tube section. So far the staff have asked me if I'm going camping or backpacking. As I'm Australian, I suppose the shoe fits... ;)

It was a toss-up between the Aurora and the SF, but see PorlyP's Aurora on the weekend clinched the deal for me. :D

Ken Davies

Thanks to all for their comments. I knew you guys would be able to help me out. I think the SF is the choice for me and is the one I was favouring anyway. Weight isn't an issue on my bike as it's a motorbike not a cycle and I like the idea of all the different compartments in the SF.

I'm going to order one right now.

Cheers

Ken