[American Flatbow] Shelf protecter/arrow rest thingy - what is it, where do I get it?

Shink

As you can tell, I'm new to shooting off a shelf! My new bow came with a sticky backed leather shelf protector thing...I trimmed it down, and now think it's too small :)

What are the daft things called, anyway? And where's a good place to get them? I think I might want a furry one!

Cheers.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Shelf protector, I think is the term you are looking for. You could try any of the shops advertised on the forum, SHOP that specifies in LONGBOW might be a good idea to try as well. Though cause not a forum sponser can't say what its called.

modernlongbow

Good Afternoon, Shink:
Forgive me for taking so long to reply to your query> You have by now probably decided on horsehide with the hair still on, or sealskin. These two are the shelf leathers of choice. The third choice which I went for is the velvet that comes on velcro closures. Unlike the hides, it is non-directional, which can be an advantage. In cementing mine on, I introduced a valley by ensuring that there were extra thicknesses at either edge. My 71" Birtwistle flatbow now has a much more forgiving sweet spot and lets me hit from 70 meters.

Anglian Archer

To add to the previous answers. Quicks sells these: XL01 Longshot Traditional Leather Arrow Rest. Other rests I've seen consist of a hair strip for the shelf and a leather tongue to protect the vertical part of the bow. Velcro is a good bet though.