Shibuya ultima rattle

Dunlop8991

Hi,
I have a win and win AXT and there is an annoying tiz when I shoot it.
I have traced the problem to the shibuya ultima 2 fitted with a spiggarelli sight pin.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I will try to wrap the sight pin thread with ptfe to begin with.

Stretch

If you take the sight block and apply a litttle sideways pressure does it move?

(What follows is for the Ultima but I think the Ultima 2 is the same)

If so there are little Allen bolts on each side of the block that can be used to increase the tension on the x lock system. Part number UL46. But don’t overdo it or the sight won’t move on the bar. Try to move each bolt the same. Think “just enough”.

If you take the sight block off the vertical bar is there still vibration then it is something else :) check out the parts diagram and run through each of the fixings. (Or take it to your dealer)

Stretch

dblake78

I've just picked up a pre-enjoyed Shibuya sight and was very disappointed in the noise. Trying to track it down at the moment and it's definitely in the sight block itself somewhere. Giving it a lateral shake I can hear a little metallic rattle but every screw and allen bolt is proper tight, nothing obvious is moving at all. Is this normal? I've noticed that there are 4 holes for a UL-46 but 2 seem to be missing, under the lateral adjuster dial. I've got some spares but in order get them in there I'm going to have to remove that dial and C-ring assembly.

Do you think that these 2 missing screws could cause the noise? Could it be something internal?

I've made peace with taking the risk of buying second hand, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Stretch

So no, it is not normal. I have one in my hand that is maybe 6 years old, I can shake it with no noise at all.

It is hard to diagnose without pics. If you don’t have 4 UL-46 then that could be the problem. These apply pressure to the UL5 (I think) plastic blocks that stop the block from wobbling on the bar. But bear in mind the ones under the windage adjustment dial sit deep in the block - so it might be that you can’t see it. Either way these should be tight enough to create a firm fit on the bar but not so tight as to stop the block moving. They can be adjusted without removing the windage dial but you need a Allen wrench with just the right shape head (shorter and more curved as I recall).

The UL39 part does wear an can be easily replaced - although I have never had to personally.

I‘m assuming the UL42,43 and 44 are all there? If you remove them and the sight pin, does it still rattle?

I‘d take it apart bit by bit. When it stops rattling you just removed the problem. You could have something like a broken spring which could cause a buzz but still do the job(ish).

It will be fixable, they are not that complicated ;)

Stretch

dblake78

Starting to think the UL-46 I can easily get to are thread-locked in, they are not budging. If I push it any more I'm going to be stripping heads.

With the sight block on the vertical mount there is left/right play which I think is probably the cause of the rattle when I ping the bow string. As you say, the plastic blocks don't look to be tightly engaged. Looks like I might have a sight block for spares going soon then :)

Thanks for your help

Stretch

They shouldn’t be thread locked but maybe the previous owner was a bodger :eek: They are usually quite stiff, just make sure you are using the right size metric wrench which has nice clean sharp edges. (I use a nice set of medium priced bike wrenches).

If you think thread locked, put the key in the grub screw and heat the key a little, then try turning with pliers. Don’t heat too much though because the grub screw presses on the plastic wedge directly so you could melt the wedge.

Good luck

Stretch

Whitehart

Hi,
I have a win and win AXT and there is an annoying tiz when I shoot it.
I have traced the problem to the shibuya ultima 2 fitted with a spiggarelli sight pin.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I will try to wrap the sight pin thread with ptfe to begin with.
Check that you have the washer under the screw that fixes the sight pin - this can get lost when sight pins are changed and will result in a rattle.