Shooting Gloves

vivilanco

Archery Gloves

Morning All.

I come to the community for some advice. I shoot right hand recurve and currently use a Timber Creek Deluxe black glove. Having used tabs and the glove I can affirm that I prefer using it as it offers less faff when in the woods. However over the past few weeks (average shooting 2 times a week) I've notices I've developed an issue with my third (ring) finger and as such last night I got a blister from shooting.

Whilst I originally put it down to technique, and tried to troubleshoot what was going on, I have noticed the leather on that finger both looks and feels different (the natural crease isn't where my bend in the finger is and the leather itself has become harder / stiffer). Sadly it appears I'm not the only one who has had these issues (having scouted other archery forums (inc. reddit) and the reviews of the actual product (Timber Creek Black Leather Glove - Delux from Merlin Archery Ltd) so I come to you...

Christmas is coming and the wife asked "what do you want"... I'm in need of nothing and want less if I'm honest so I thought this could be an opportune time to get a new glove. What do people recommend / use and have positive feedback on?

Thanks
Ian

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Is the blistering something to do with the fact the finger is enclosed and likely to sweat, so the skin becomes soft and more prone to blistering? The third finger is often a bit of a problem even with a tab; having soft skin added to that, might be just one thing too much.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
What do you treat the leather with...?
I generally use neat's foot oil on leather tabs, to keep them in shape.

vivilanco

Is the blistering something to do with the fact the finger is enclosed and likely to sweat, so the skin becomes soft and more prone to blistering? The third finger is often a bit of a problem even with a tab; having soft skin added to that, might be just one thing too much.
Last night was in the school hall, generally warm but not sweaty at all. It's on the underside of the finger (imagine, if you will, it rubs the little finger). I wish I could say I blessed with soft skin as whilst I am a desk jockey I play bass guitar and have developed harder skin than normal (although I admit I don't use that part of my finger :p) I was quite taken a back to be honest when I got home. Having looked at the glove in the cold light of day, it's almost as if the third finger orientation has tilted (if that makes sense) - this must be a product of my use rather than formation of the glove.

vivilanco

What do you treat the leather with...?
I generally use neat's foot oil on leather tabs, to keep them in shape.
As noobie as it sounds, hands up, I'd not considered it any. I only got the glove in May (although I've had to replace the velcro already as that lasted all of 5 months) so it may be worth a go.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Another problem with sore fingers is that the initial hurt can change the way we hold the string and release, in order to try to avoid the pain. Then it gets worse as we make unnatural releases.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It's a little trickier with a glove, as you don't want to just drop the whole thing into a jar of neat's foot, the way you could with a tab face.
I would put a little into a jar lid or saucer and leave the finger tips sitting in it over night. Then apply a little each time you shoot (just rub in a dab on your finger tip).
Good/bad news: the stuff tends to come in large bottles.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've always shot with a glove. I have built up a callous on that third finger, it seems pretty common with a glove in the same way with tabs you seem to get the callous between the index and second finger.
I like the bear paw deerskin glove. Though a little tight and stiff when new once broken in it sits comfortably. I have recently bought a bearpaw speed glove that has material at the tips rather than leather which I'm told is good for wet weather, but I have yet to try it.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've always shot with a glove. I have built up a callous on that third finger, it seems pretty common with a glove in the same way with tabs you seem to get the callous between the index and second finger.
I like the bear paw deerskin glove. Though a little tight and stiff when new once broken in it sits comfortably. I have recently bought a bearpaw speed glove that has material at the tips rather than leather which I'm told is good for wet weather, but I have yet to try it.