Should all club activities be cancelled?

Rog600

Do you want their grandparents caring for the little petri dishes while their parents are working?
And somehow it's deemed more likely that the handful of archers that ArcheryGB still have on their books are more likely to catch it from each other, outside, spaced along a shooting line, than all the country's school staff who are working inside with said petri-dishes, every day? School staff outnumber AGB members by maybe 10 to 1 and are generally at school everyday unlike AGB's members who may frequent the field less than once a month in some cases.

And if you think school staff are all young, fit people, think again.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
And somehow it's deemed more likely that the handful of archers that ArcheryGB still have on their books are more likely to catch it from each other, outside, spaced along a shooting line, than all the country's school staff who are working inside with said petri-dishes,
I think that misses the point. Surely it must be right that we reduce any possibility of transmission, even small possibilities like shooting outside, and giving a good example to other sports, rather than just one person needing an ICU bed and ventilator and it not being there. Not shooting for a few months is not going to kill me. And I can live with that.

English Bowman

This is scary. This is real. We touch our mouths and faces a lot in this sport. Please spray down your equipment with an antibacterial spray, especially leather and cloth items which may hold on to the virus more than metal or composite parts.
I agree with most of what you've said, but be aware that an anti-bacterial spray won't kill a virus. Cleaning surfaces is a good idea, but don't rely on your anti-bac spray.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AGB can only do what they can to offer advice for the best protection from the disease to it's members; they aren't responsible for anything else. This is the best option. Given that Imperial College's modelling suggested as many as 250 000 deaths in the UK without Mondays' new measures, perhaps we should stop worrying about our own enjoyment and think of protecting others.

LAC Mark

Our club sought advice from AGB and were basically told that AGB have suspended their insurance (our insurance to shoot).
So our club have taken measures to stop shooting altogether, no indoor or outdoor shooting, the range is closed.

Every AGB insured club needs to do the same, as if there is an accident at the range the club will be financially responsible.

Yes not shooting is going to be a bind for some of us, but if it helps stop the spread of this virus is worthwhile.

Myself, my wife, daughter and parents are all in the high risk group, I'll not be risking their lives just so I can shoot.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Only a few years ago, I lived for my archery. I shot every day even if sometimes was only in the garage. Our family had life changing events that drew me away from archery for quite some time. I was amazed at how easily I adjusted to not shooting so often and sometimes not at all for several months. My desire to shoot is still strong, it is just further down the list of things that make life worth getting out of bed for.
I am one of the "at risk" people; but I am far luckier than those who have been forced out of work

AndyW

Just stop, club / events etc. Simple. Especially those still running indoor club nights - idiots, whoever makes the decision to carry on for a while has probably just killed people.

ben tarrow

like many others, my club has suspended our activities following agb advice and the fact that the school where we shoot has terminated bookings.
however, i'm glad to have some time off from teaching beginners

D

Deleted member 946

Our club sought advice from AGB and were basically told that AGB have suspended their insurance (our insurance to shoot).

Every AGB insured club needs to do the same, as if there is an accident at the range the club will be financially responsible.
This is not mentioned on the AGB web site at 13.30 on 18th - is it fact, a rumour or a misunderstanding? Every archer should be told immediately if and when insurance cover is withdrawn.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
From my club sec:

However GB have just told me that their insurers have sent a statement which will be passed on shortly, it does not specifically say the insurance is suspended but a view would be taken on us not following GB advice which is basically no shooting.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Our club has just suspended all activity, including outdoor shooting at our field, and cancelled all tournaments, etc.
I wouldn't imagine that club fees would be suspended - clubs will still have to pay rents and so on, I guess.
We'll just have to get the boss out in the back garden, I guess (don't worry, we back onto a very large, completely uninhabited field.)

D

Deleted member 946

Unless the insurance is specifically suspended or cancelled, it is still in force. The terms of the insurance need to be looked at to see what is covered but, knowing insurers, they will probably all be changing them to exclude claims due to Covid 19. To change the terms of an insurance policy, there is probably a notice period involved giving policy holders a chance to go elsewhere.

You would think then that if you shoot in accordance with the rules of shooting, the insurance should cover you. If someone claims that they got Covid 19 as a direct result of you shooting when AGB advised against it, the insurers would probably not cover you against a claim from them. Would you be concerned about that risk?

Now might be a time to self insure - there are good policies available out there at reasonable premiums - and consider whether you really need AGB, regional and county membership.

D

Deleted member 946

Will AGB/Regional/Club fees be suspended too?

Or are we just expected to carry on paying for Sweet FA for the rest of the year?
We pay for very little more than Sweet FA already. I consider my AGB membership to be a bit of charitable support for national teams.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Club fees are the biggest tranche and also the most 'get what you pay for'. If the clubs are closed down, can we be forced to carry on paying - for an indefinite period - with nothing to show for it?

I'd like to see some actual leadership from AGB on this.

- Like instructions to clubs not to charge for services they've been 'ordered' not to deliver. Even 'credit' for the national/regional fees extended to next years' gouging time - lest we forget that's just a tad over 6 months ahead.

But I have a feeling that they'll just pass the buck to the hard-pressed club volunteers to decide what to do, and to deal with the flack from members.

D

Deleted member 946

a quote from Archery GB Insurers, Howdens, "At the present time we can only advise you and your clubs to follow the government advice. Within any insurance policy there is a reasonable precautions condition and if the club are deliberately ignoring advice or acting recklessly this may impact on the liability indemnity being available."

D

Deleted member 946

It would be interesting to extend that line of logic to your car insurance if you make a non-essential journey against Government advice!!!

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
extend that line of logic to your car insurance
There are so many cans of worms yet to be opened, but perhaps we should stick to completely archery-related ones for now, huh?

Me, I'm already planning to only use the car for a fortnightly food shop, timed for when Iceland & Aldi are quiet, such as the last hour b4 closing.

ben tarrow

Full quote from AGB's email yesterday:

Advice regarding insurance:

Following a number of enquiries regarding insurance, we have received the following guidance from our insurers Howdens:

“At the present time we can only advise you and your clubs to follow the government advice. Within any insurance policy there is a reasonable precautions condition and if the club are deliberately ignoring advice or acting recklessly this may impact on the liability indemnity being available.

All clubs should record their decisions and reasons to proceed or not with their activities, and ensure that risk assessment and risk management is considered through their process.

The health and wellbeing of everyone being of primary importance as per the governments guidance.”

Archery GB advises that all archery in the UK is postponed for the foreseeable future, in order to reduce all non-essential contact with others. Our priority is the health and safety of our members, participants, volunteers and staff.

If clubs believe they can operate within the government guidelines and ensure no social contact takes place and all social distancing measures and government hygiene measures are in place. They need to make sure they record their decisions and reasons to proceed or not with their activities, and ensure that risk assessment and risk management is considered through their process. We cannot stress strongly enough that the decision to proceed against government advice and our guidance is a risk taken by the club, continuing to shoot could invalidate your insurance and any claims made will be made to the insurers and it is their decision not Archery GB’s.

We advise you to postpone all archery activity with immediate effect.