Sight Carbon Vs Aluminium

sarahjrd

I am in the market for a new sight at the moment and have settled on the Shibuya ultima but i cant decied on carbon or aluminium. I have borrowed a carbon one for a while and put it on to my bow last night. I really liked it but i dont know if it worth the extra ?50.

All i knoww is that the carbon is lighter, and also more likely to break.
And the aluminium is cheaper and slightly heavier.

Any ideas, suggestions?:confused:

Thanks,
Sarah

R

rgsphoto

sarahjrd said:
I am in the market for a new sight at the moment and have settled on the Shibuya ultima but i cant decied on carbon or aluminium. I have borrowed a carbon one for a while and put it on to my bow last night. I really liked it but i dont know if it worth the extra ?50.

Thanks,
Sarah
Buy the Ali one and save ?50 for :beer: :cheerful:

Whitehart

Have you looked at the Sebastien Flute Carbon sight it's cheaper than the Aluminium Ultima looks and works the same and appears to offer the same build quality and smoothness of action - interested to hear otherwise as this is currently top of my list.

Last edited:

sarahjrd

The only problem with the ARC sight is that I have not seen it in the flesh, and i dont buy anything without first having seen it or possibly trying it out. There is only one archery shop near were i live but they are poorly stocked and have not got many sights, so it is not an option to see it there

R

rgsphoto

sarahjrd said:
The only problem with the ARC sight is that I have not seen it in the flesh, and i dont buy anything without first having seen it or possibly trying it out. There is only one archery shop near were i live but they are poorly stocked and have not got many sights, so it is not an option to see it there
Hi Sarah, other than saving ?50 the actual weight difference between a carbon and ali sight is so small I doubt you will notice once the whole bow is setup ready to shoot.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
sarahjrd said:

Thanks,
Sarah

I tested dozens of sights when I was looking for a new one. IMHO the shibuya ali sight is THE best sight available today. Its strong, easily adjusted, never fails etc and I'm in love with it, lol.
After owning (2nd hand, came with the bow) an AGF carbon safari sight, I can honestly say that I wouldn't bother with carbon again.

wingate_52

The weight difference is minimal. Especially compared to adding doinkers, weights and other paraphanalia to the bow. However you are unlikely to damage your sight in normal use. The Arc SX10 is a nice sight with a carbon arm. Mine is going strong after 14 months of shooting 3 or more times a week, indoors and out. At least the carbon does not corrode, mark badly or rust.

Barry C

The SF carbon is a beautiful sight and appears to work fine but quality is still not in the same league as the Shibuya range, have a look at them side by side and its abvious.

re the carbon extender of course it makes negligable difference. Aluminium will work just as good as a carbon extender. Performance isnt the issue I strongly believe. I think its this; What would you prefer to wear, Levis or Tesco denim jeans. A style issue for me.

I have never been a fan of sure loc though some swear by them (usually those who have never owned a shibuya). Fact is if you do buy a shibuya you will never ever go wrong. Go for the Alu Ultima.

sarahjrd

Thanks for all the reply. I have not seen any SF sights around either> I agree about the sure loc, theey would not be my choice. I think i will go ahead and order the ali ultima.

Thanks,
Sarah

Stretch

Too late - but the difference between the alloy and the carbon isn't really about the weight. It can make a significant difference to the feel of the bow. I have an alloy Shibuya Dual CLick and a Carbon RX965 and the Carbon sight feels significantly better - especially on stiffer risers.

As for breaking it? Well I've seen plenty of bent alloy sights but not too many broken carbon extensions (not shibuyas anyway). Mind is now 10 years old :cheerful:

Having said that the old carbon extensions were laid in carbon where as the new ones look more like a moulded epoxy-carbon glupe - so mileage may vary.

Enjoy

Stretch