Sight recommendations?

Mistake

Ironman
Last weekend my sight finally ended the end phase of shooting itself to pieces, so after 13 years loyal service in all kinds of terrible conditions it's time to get a new one.

I realise i'm opening a can of worms (and barebow shooters calling me a cheater for using a sight) but can I get some recommendations for bowsights?

Hoping to replace it friday so I have time to get sight marks for the weekend

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on your budget. If you can stretch to the ?250-300 mark I would recommend the Shibuya Ultima; well built, easily adjustable and pretty robust.

The Shibuya dual click is also excellent and a bit cheaper. I have used both and rate them highly.

I don't know much about other models, the only one I have had in the sub ?100 range recently was the SF Carbon (the precursor to the velocity), and it was acceptable, but prone to rattling and of a lower quality than the old AGF ZGT it replaced. I was not a fan of the sight pin coupling method, I found it to be quite unreliable. Other models may work better, but my experience of them is limited to observation of other archers gear.

Hope that helps.

DaveJW

The Shibuya dual click works for me..... without breaking the bank too much, around ?140.

A sturdy robust sight that is easy to adjust and doesn't rattle loose.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If you like the mass concentrated on the bow there's the Spig Carbon 30. Cheap and solid. The pinnacle of this sort of design is the AGF Technic 15. Don't make them any more but you can pick them up for ?200 or so.

Corax67

I shoot a dual click on my recurve (infrequently) which is a solid & reliable sight but I am looking for a second hand AGF or Arten Olympic because I borrowed one to try and am smitten.

They change the feel of the bow - in a really nice way - but every time one comes up its when I don't have the funds handy :) I will get one eventually though.

Karl

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
+1 for the Shibuya Ultima, which at least a couple of retailers are doing for ?215(carbon version) & ?180/?185 for the "standard" - still a large chunk of cash, but not quite as bad as ?300. I've had mine for a little over two years now, the wife's is about 3, and there's absolutely no sign of wear on either - I'm not sure how you'd improve on one, other that getting it cheaper :)

jonUK76

I don't know much about other models, the only one I have had in the sub ?100 range recently was the SF Carbon (the precursor to the velocity), and it was acceptable, but prone to rattling and of a lower quality than the old AGF ZGT it replaced.
I'll chip in with a recommendation for the Fivics FV-100 if the budget is around this sort of range. Bowsports have some at the moment, but they aren't very widely sold. It's not fancy, but light weight and built well enough for the price and unlike the Cartel one I started with, doesn't need tightening continuously or rattle itself to bits. I did need to threadlock in the small grub screws on the sight pin block (which came loose during the first use), but they aren't used for adjusting anything, and once done, it's been totally problem free.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I've shot Shibuya, and Spigarelli sights. The Shibuya is probably better engineered, though the Spiga Carbon 30 has gone through a few iterations, and has probably benefited from that. I've been shooting with an Arc Systeme sight for the last few years, and it's pretty solid, but not the most elegant design.
If money were no object, I'd probably go for Shibuya.

Mistake

Ironman
I've shot Shibuya, and Spigarelli sights. The Shibuya is probably better engineered, though the Spiga Carbon 30 has gone through a few iterations, and has probably benefited from that. I've been shooting with an Arc Systeme sight for the last few years, and it's pretty solid, but not the most elegant design.
If money were no object, I'd probably go for Shibuya.
Money isn't no object, but I'm happy to drop a chunk of change on a sight if it fits what I want from it - mirco adjust, doesn't shift about, tape for sightmarks (in addition to the scale)

I AM replacing a very knacked sureloc, so that gives you an idea of what I'm looking at/for

Rekib

if you want a sight with the mass at the riser end and cant find an AGF Technic, then the AGF Safari is a very good sight in that style. they are still made and run at about ?170.
I have been shooting one for about 11 years and it is still rock solid.
becoming very popular at my club with archers who have borrowed it to try.

archeryal

For a mass-on-bow style, you can also consider the Angel. I had an early model and it's been a bit improved since then. I like the innovative design, and this one is well made.

I currently have a Win & Win WS600 (carbon extension and a bit better than the similar Dual Click). The model has been upgraded recently, but I don't know if the upgrades justify the price. You do need to un-screw a set screw to change elevation, but it's solid, well-made and reliable.