Sighting issue at 100 yards

AndyC_772

Hi all,

This season I'd like to be able to compete at 100 yards, but there's a problem.

With my sight the right way round and as low as it'll go without getting hit by the fletchings, my arrows group in the mud just in front of the target. If I turn the sight round, then the end of my long rod obscures the target completely. I think a bit more reach is what's needed.

My limbs are marked 34 lb, but I have a long draw length, and so the actual weight on the fingers measures ~38.5 lbs. That's plenty; I don't really have the strength to draw a heavier bow, and even if I did, accuracy would suffer.

Arrows are ACC (3L-18/620), 29.5 inches, with EP16 vanes. One obvious option would be to switch to ACE, which is lighter, and maybe the smaller diameter would mean less drag?

Another option might be more efficient limbs. Mine are (cheap) SF "Premium +", and I wonder whether a different limb would do better at releasing stored energy back in to the arrow, so I'd get better range even for the same draw weight?

Any suggestions please? I'm quite happy to spend a few ??? on the right kit, but would prefer not to spend money on carbon fibre, triple reinforced unobtainium goodies without some objective way to know it'll help.

Hi Andy

Of the two options, I would say that you would be better off spending the money on lighter arrows rather than "better" limbs. Faster limbs or even a stiffer riser would both help, but narrower and lighter arrows will help more and with less of a price jump.

It may also be worth getting some coach input to check that there are no obvious fixes form wise (such as a forward loose or lifting the arm to aim rather than tilting at the waist for example)

You don't mention if you use a clicker or not, or if the 29.5" arrow length has any room for trimming?

It would also be worth checking over your tune to make sure you are getting good clearance and that the bracing height and nocking point are in the optimum place, as these things can all rob distance.

Hope that helps

Dan

jerryRTD

Hi all,

This season I'd like to be able to compete at 100 yards, but there's a problem.

With my sight the right way round and as low as it'll go without getting hit by the fletchings, my arrows group in the mud just in front of the target. If I turn the sight round, then the end of my long rod obscures the target completely. I think a bit more reach is what's needed.

My limbs are marked 34 lb, but I have a long draw length, and so the actual weight on the fingers measures ~38.5 lbs. That's plenty; I don't really have the strength to draw a heavier bow, and even if I did, accuracy would suffer.

Arrows are ACC (3L-18/620), 29.5 inches, with EP16 vanes. One obvious option would be to switch to ACE, which is lighter, and maybe the smaller diameter would mean less drag?

Another option might be more efficient limbs. Mine are (cheap) SF "Premium +", and I wonder whether a different limb would do better at releasing stored energy back in to the arrow, so I'd get better range even for the same draw weight?

Any suggestions please? I'm quite happy to spend a few ??? on the right kit, but would prefer not to spend money on carbon fibre, triple reinforced unobtainium goodies without some objective way to know it'll help.
You have a number of options, of differing costs

You can buy a tab with a large flat platform (AF or Goompy) and stick a spacer on top of that to drop your anchor.

You can change your limbs, It is possible that a better pair of limbs may allow you to use a higher poundage or the same poundage may give more performance but there is no certainty that just better limbs would be enough .

You could change to ACE's that might be enough.

You could do all of the above but there is only one way to be certain that you will get a good sight mark is to suck it and see.

There is a certain way to get 100yds, come to the dark side.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'd go for lighter, skinnier arrows. If you search on here you'll find many threads with people complaining they can't get distance with ACCs. ACGs are cheaper than ACEs. If your field permits all-carbon arrows, Carbon Ones are pretty nice too, and cheapish.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My first option would be to take off the longrod and see if the target is visible with the sight inside the bow. If it is, and if the arrows reach the gold, I would then fit a droop adapter for the long rod.
In some cases, the sight can be put on its longest extension; and positioned below the arrow, so they clear the sight by flying above it. You may need to put the scale bar on its lowest setting where it attaches to the extension bar. In that position, the sight aperture appears, in a similar place to the one your long rod appears, but you can see the gold with the sight.
I shot like that for many years, so I know it can work. It cannot work, however, if the arrow shelf blocks your view of the target.

ThomVis

Cheapest option is to get a beveled washer (or make your own by grinding down a regular flat washer) and place it in between your extender and v-bar so your long rod angles down a bit (I do this with 32# limbs and CarbonOne arrows, sight pulled in all the way and fletching just missing aperture when at 90 meters).
Then see if you can group while aiming at the yellow and take it from there.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
of course, keep in mind, if you go for the new limbs route, you will probably then need new arrows... so that becomes a twofer cost wise.

adrianms

Have you tried moving the sight block in towards the riser? Mine is ok upto 80yds but beyond that I move it in half way for upto 100m's (its the club masochist distance, but excellent for a steady shot)

sURFMONKEY73

I used to have a problem where the longrod started to abscure the sight pin at 100yds as the sight was all the way to the bottom of the sight bar. I bought an angled quick disconnect with a 15 down angle. Stopped the longrod creeping into the sightpin view

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AndyC_772

Thanks for all the advice everyone, some great insights and suggestions there.

Today I upgraded my 34 lb limbs to... another set of 34 lb limbs. Yes, I have noodle arms, and no, that's not changed in the year since I last changed limbs. It's not likely to any time soon either!

However, it turns out that switching from SF Premium + (?85) to W&W WiaWis NS foam (?500+) makes quite a difference. Not only is my bow now a fair bit lighter, but my sight marks have all moved up significantly. It also feels slightly easier to pull through the clicker, so I might just add a lb or two by winding in the tiller bolts.

I can now reach 80 yards without moving the sight block in at all from its furthest position, and I can hit the target at 100 yards without having to turn it around.

Cheap option? Of course not, but these will last me a long time, and I'm sure the accuracy will come with a bit of bow tuning, and (of course) some practice now it's not quite so cold.