Skylon arrows

indegold

So I bit the bullet and took a punt on these....
the shafts look OK but the pins and points are way too loose compared to a Easton type snug fit engineering tolerances way down on US standards?
anybody have experience with these and any tips for assembling

BTW they are Skylon Precium with parallel break-offs 100-120gr

cheers

Whitehart

Were the correct size points fitted, whilst the OD's are the same the internal diameters are different depending on spine.

So far IMO this range of shafts are proving to be a bargain, but don't fall into the trap of believing you are getting something for nothing, that they are equivalent to X10's costing 3 times as much etc but they run CX Nano's close.

Early batches of points and shanks were too soft, but this was sorted about 9 months ago.

indegold

just an update about these arrows (Skylon Precium) after shooting with them for a few months:
  1. They are light ;faster than ACEs (sight marks and watching them)
  2. The points and pins fit too loosely for my preference. My previous comments stand.
  3. I lost several points shooting into hard straw bosses. However, I was using a cheap supermarket type hot melt. With Easton hot melt the bond is stronger - fine with foam targets but I'm still wary of shooting into hard/new straw bosses.
  4. Skylon now make sexy looking colored anodized points (Spectra points) but have not tried them.
  5. I understand that X10 points fit. I tested this- a much tighter fit.
  6. Fletching a little tricky with the narrow diameter.
Overall, very happy.... and so is my bank manager.

tisbatman^^

I shot skylon paragons for about about a year before switching to used aces because I wanted to try barreled shafts.

- They are thought and durable, way more than aces
- they are lighter than aces (better sight marks)
- Pins and points are very soft and of bad quality, but you can use x10 components to solve this
- they are very small diameter
- they are very affordable

Overall, I was pretty happy with them, I think they are a very good choice for an intermediate archer up to 620 scores.
I might buy a set again for field when I switch to x10 for target. I feel that the aces gave me a little more forgiveness and tighter groups.
This is purely subjective though, as I made significant progress since I switched.

Ozzy

Surely one would have doubts about a manufacturer that manufactures & produces products with dodgy components not fitting ?
Say what you like about Easton, but at least be confident that everything is quality and fits.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Surely one would have doubts about a manufacturer that manufactures & produces products with dodgy components not fitting ?
Say what you like about Easton, but at least be confident that everything is quality and fits.
Not all Easton components are particularly well made or high quality.

Ozzy

Well, I've been involved in archery a long time and havent been aware of any obvious issues with any Easton components. Perhaps you would care to elaborate ?

Shirt

Without wanting to get into the debate about Easton components (I've never personally had any issues there) but there have been a number of arrow manufacturers who have produced good shafts and awful bits to go in them.
Cartel Triples back in the early 2000s were good shafts, but their nock systems were dire. Everyone moved to aftermarket pins or Beiter inserts as soon as they were available.
Early Black Eagle X-Impacts had points made of expired Camembert that bent as soon as you looked at them, and pins that were only properly centred on average.
Carbon Express Nano pins changed at some point from ones that were extremely robust and high quality to ones that it's possible to bend without even cracking the nock.

So it's not impossible for Easton to have at some point made some ropey components, but like other manufacturers they tend to fix it fairly fast!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Well, I've been involved in archery a long time and havent been aware of any obvious issues with any Easton components. Perhaps you would care to elaborate ?
Sure: Their nocks are pretty variable with fit across the board and I won't use them except on expendable field arrows. Nibb points used to be ok but now are poor. The new series of SS points for X10s are much better than the old ones for stiffness but tend to be poorer in grain matching. And they have changed the design of the tungsten points *ever so slightly* so they aren't quite the same length through the clicker. Makes a difference to me that I found out the hard way when I mixed and matched a set! I prefer the older ones. I use ACE components in my Carbon Ones because they are made to better tolerances than the points made for them. Do I need to go on?

It's common across all manufacturers if you take the time with grain scales and a Vernier's.

So I have no issues with picking up components from manufacturers that are making something excellent at an exceptional price and mixing it up with reliable components from elsewhere. It's a sensible option.

Michael Burrows

AIUK Saviour
just an update about these arrows (Skylon Precium) after shooting with them for a few months:
  1. They are light ;faster than ACEs (sight marks and watching them)
  2. The points and pins fit too loosely for my preference. My previous comments stand.
  3. I lost several points shooting into hard straw bosses. However, I was using a cheap supermarket type hot melt. With Easton hot melt the bond is stronger - fine with foam targets but I'm still wary of shooting into hard/new straw bosses.
  4. Skylon now make sexy looking colored anodized points (Spectra points) but have not tried them.
  5. I understand that X10 points fit. I tested this- a much tighter fit.
  6. Fletching a little tricky with the narrow diameter.
Overall, very happy.... and so is my bank manager.
I've got Preciums for compound and Paragons for barebow and Bruxx for indoor. The Bruxxs are brilliant with no component issues, the Paragons are good but agree on loose pins. The Preciums are good but again loose pins but points are OK, foam targets only, never tried a straw boss - can't imagine why anyone uses them any more. The Paragons and Bruxx are amazing value for money and I would recommend them to anyone. Quality of carbon is really good.

tisbatman^^

If budget is unlimited, sure, Easton Ace or x10 are the better arrows. But I think skylon arrows are very good value
for the money and I would recommend them to anyone who doesnt want or can´t afford to spend around 400 to 500
Euros for a set of ace or x10. Your passion or your skill level need to be pretty high to justify this kind of expenses in my opinion.
I would probably choose them over acc or acg, just for the slimmer diameter.

RavingRev

My Paragons came with pins and I also tried their DLX pins, but I found both types of pin were too loose and pulled out when removing nocks, so ended up using X10 pins. The Skylon Paragons shafts and Skylon 120gn Tungsten point are both good value IMO.

8ballali

One of my friends made up some Skylon arrows for a beginner at his club. I was going to get some, but he messaged me to say not to. Said the straightness was very poor, and inconsistent. Said out of the batch of twelve, he'd keep two for practice, and the rest would never be shot.
So he got me some cross-x ambition gold arrows. Brilliant!
One thou straightness, and all passed his testing, and consistent weight too.
Says he made some of the three thou straightness version, and was impressed with them too.
I'll be sticking with them.
My PB's have shot up in all three of the rounds I shoot in practice.

turtle

Just shoot Victory VAPs. Great arrows and affordable (especially the sport and gamers). Plenty of components available.