[American Flatbow] Slazenger Type Flat Bow ?

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
Have just acquired a Flatbow, suspect it is from the 1970's to 1980's. Length 66" Poundage 37lbs. It is a double laminate plus riser and backed with a course fabric. It is marked at one end "Made in London" and "Made in England" at the other. The Fabric backing is cracked, so I am considering rebacking it with some leather, would this be a valid repair? The rest of the bow is in very nice condition, well worth a little work. So does anyone know anything about this type of bow and should I reback it?

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
I have a similar one too which I keep as a decoration on the wall :) . A friend (and coach) who shot his found it to break at full draw :( so I've never shot mine.

I'd heard they were sold in newsagents but would love to know more?

JohnK

I was given one by a friend. Shot the first arrow very nicely. Never shot another as the bottom limb exploded and whacked me under the chin.

Make it look pretty and hang it on the wall. Don't shoot it - it's not worth the risk.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I have a very nice pamphlet on how to shoot one of these, a nice dead loose is required. If I get time I'll share a picc or two with you all tomorrow.

Old Bloke

If it is a Slazenger flat bow, the limb nock groves and about an inch down the limb were painted green. Some of the later models also had a very small plastic arrow shelf tucked in behing the cloth grip. What you might have (by the description) is a Jacques bow, which was similar to the Slazenger and I think the Slazenger bows were made in B'ham. Jacques were made in London....I think!

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
Don't think it is a Slazenger, seems of better quality. It has a leather grip with an arrow shelf tucked into the grip. Got to say having reservations about playing with it now, though I suspect curiosity will overcome common sense, it usually does.

the badger

I have a photo somewhere, of me and my father on a beach, side by side with longbows at full draw..............(an empty beach, they were then) we always had bows at home and I think these were slazengers (I recall the green tips) great fun and in various sizes....I will try and find the pic and post it.....its black and white and I think I was about 10 at the time (52 years ago)

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
I have a copy of this (Slazenger) leaflet, it's good.It has in the "Habits to avoid" section the only bit of archery technique I have been able to master, to quote: Avoid raising either foot off the ground while aiming. Quite good at that bit, the rest of it is a bit more of a problem!