[English Longbow] slight split in the grain

DavidH

When my bow is unstrung I can feel a very slight split in the grain on the belly in two places about an inch long just above the handle. I used emery cloth to remove the varnish and it felt perfectly smooth so I thought all was well. Strung you can feel no split at all but when I destrung it after shooting it was there again. Its no use showing pictures as its just not visible. You can only feel it when you run a finger across it. My question is do I now have a piece of firewood or could I run some resin in it, or do i just keep shooting it? I doubt if that would even seep in as the split is so slight. I noticed this about 3 months ago and it has got no worse.

D

Deleted member 7654

If it runs across the belly (usually at 45 degrees) of the bow and you can feel it as a microscopic raised ridge with your fingernail, it is a chrysal... don't sand it! The wood will just buckle up again.
It's a compression fracture and they go remarkably deep (4mm or so!).
How old is the bow? If it's under garantee it should be replaced.
They are normally not fatal to the bow, but will rob it of power and it will become increasingly puddingy.

If they are cracks along the grain, it's probably not an issue unless they run off the side. Low viscosity suprglue applied to them will help fill/seal them. Plenty of wax polish, but otherwise no prob.
Picture of major chrysals on this post.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/plenty-to-be-getting-on-with.html
Del

WillS

You would be amazed how much damage a bow belly can take, provided the splits aren't horizontal as Del said. Assuming they're vertical, a goood squeeze of superglue ( I use the standard loctite stuff for this job) will do the trick.

My latest yew bow has a split running from midlimb upper all the way through the handle area, crossing over to the other edge and down to midlimb lower. In some places it was wide enough for me to fill it with superglue and sawdust, pushed in with a cocktail stick. Still shoots fine at around 80#@30".

If it is horizontal you're less likely to get away with it, but chances are if it's in the handle area you'll be ok. That area doesn't work much anyway, and im guessing it's not a full compass warbow?

DavidH

Thanks to both of you, it does run along the grain and I only feel it when its unstrung. Its so light it hardly noticeable. WilS it actually it a full compass bow. Ill get a pic up.

DavidH

1-IMAG13391.jpg 1-IMAG133912.jpg

Here's a couple of images, the second showing approximately where I feel a very slight separation. Its so slight I cant imagine I could fill it. I've stripped off the varnish. Would a flexible varnish be enough or just a good waxing? I cant feel it when its strung at all.

WillS

That's not something to worry about at all! Can't even see it :p

Varnish or wax will do, depends on your preference and what the rest of the bow is finished with.