Small crack on limb - need advice

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Tonight I noticed that there is a small crack on the lower of my limbs.

Pic 1

The crack shown above is on the outer face of the limb (the one facing towards the target when on the bow) and is about 2cm long. It starts about 18.5cm from the riser-end of the limb.

In addition there is a crack down the 'side' of the limb, through the core, as shown below:

Pic 2

The arrow on the right is where the crack on the limb face starts.

The only reason I noticed the crack was I caught part of my hand on the point of the 'sliver' that is forming as a result of the crack. :(

Question: is this something I should be concerned about (I'm guessing yes). Is this the early signs of what I've seen others refer to as "delamination"? As the limbs were only bought last November, what are my chances of getting them replaced?

p.s. Sorry peeps - the 'insert pic' thing doesn't appear to work (did follow the instructions) for me so use the links provided instead.

Mike

Thunk

Ironman
If those limbs were mine they would already be back with the retailer, and the expression 'merchantable quality' would forcefully be mentioned...several times if necessary...

Meddler

At the very least get them checked out... doesn't look good.

If you bought them at a reputable dealer, you shouldn't have a problem - providing you have looked after them.

Iain.

cliveanne

Ironman
If those limbs were mine they would already be back with the retailer, and the expression 'merchantable quality' would forcefully be mentioned...several times if necessary...
DITTO
normally a 12 month guarantee goes with new limbs The whole bow, if brought as new.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Tonight I noticed that there is a small crack on the lower of my limbs.
Before I took the limbs back I'd be interested to know what the small circular object was that appears to be embedded in the limb at the point where the crack radiates from?

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Before I took the limbs back I'd be interested to know what the small circular object was that appears to be embedded in the limb at the point where the crack radiates from?
Had a look with a x9 magnifying lens....it doesn't look like an object, more like a piece of the silver lacquer that's now lying in the crack and reflecting the light at a different angle. Difficult to say exactly but it's not 'foreign' to the limb as far as I can tell.

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Cheers to all who've replied.

I'll contact a shop later today (when they open!) and discuss it with them, hopefully get them replaced under warranty. Meantime I'll leave them in their case.

Ceri Jones

Ironman
Id take them back asap. and whatever you do dont string it or even attempt to shoot it again, as it might injure you or someone else.

Pauly

Definately don't shoot them. A sliver of material about an inch long delaminated from my son's limbs and embedded itself in his leg, as it was curved it basically stitched his trousers to his leg. No-one had noticed any damage to the limb before he shot that day. Fortunately it was the lower limb which went, not the upper, otherwise it might have been his face or eye affected.

The limbs were less than 6 months old and the retailer replaced them no problem.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
p.s. Sorry peeps - the 'insert pic' thing doesn't appear to work (did follow the instructions) for me so use the links provided instead.

Mike
Looks like your server doesn't allow leeching.

Tropicalshot

DITTO
normally a 12 month guarantee goes with new limbs The whole bow, if brought as new.
normaly the 12 month guarantee is from date of manufacture and not date of purchase, so this is where the good retailers separate themselves from the bad. we had trouble with limbs that were brand new never fitted to a bow but had sat in the shop for over 12 months hence no maufactureres warranty, but the retailer came to the party.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
normaly the 12 month guarantee is from date of manufacture and not date of purchase, so this is where the good retailers separate themselves from the bad. we had trouble with limbs that were brand new never fitted to a bow but had sat in the shop for over 12 months hence no maufactureres warranty, but the retailer came to the party.
Not a problem in this country and you don't have to rely on the manufacturers guarantee. It's the retailer's not the manufacturer's responsibility for a period of up to six years (five years from discovery in Scotland) under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and others.

Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts - BERR

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
All sorted!

Sent an email to a shop on Saturday with the pics but as they were inundated with customers in the shop on Saturday they couldn't look at them right away.

Phoned a shop yesterday and spoke to Simon; he arranged to send out replacement limbs which arrived in the post today! :)

A big 10/10 for a shop. :cake: :beer:

Mike.

p.s. Simon, if you happen to be reading this, the old limbs will be in the post back to you tomorrow.

Thunk

Ironman
I've only ever dealt with a shop twice, but on both occasions they were more than helpful and made me feel like an important customer. Obviously it's not just me...

It's good to know who the good guys are! :thumbsup:

POMS-Downunder

CBA - One of the best

Never had a issue with Tony, Simon and the rest at a shop. Excellent advice, good Customer service and they make you a cup of tea/coffee as well!

My better half runs a Archery school, going round to Schools etc and has a fair amount of kit. In the early days, a few issues with limbs arose (a known issue with KAP limbs), but simon at the team soon sorted it all out.

If you see a crack in your limbs stop shooting and very carefully un-string the bow. Most of all never attempt to shoot it. My mate did with a compound, good job he likes hospital food.......