Softening Tabs

rapala

Hi.just wondering if anyone has a quick way to soften up your tab or do you just shoot with them until they go nice and soft.always seems a bit of a struggle when you first start using a new tab.tried shooting with a new one yesterday and could not even put the arrows on the bow as i could not bend my fingers.

Munsterman

Spray liberally with silicone spray (Maplins and others). Make sure it is well and truly soaked then just let it air dry. The silicone should permeate the leather and keep it soft. Worked a treat for me and my Soma Saker.

english_archer

Ironman
Never tried softening one I just use to spend time shooting them in .
Back in the days I was shooting recurve I always had two tabs and shot them in rotation so if I had to switch during a comp it wouldn't be to much of a problem

Dylan

Good old Neatsfoot Oil. If you know anyone with a horse have a word, they'll probably use it on the the tack. Rub a liberal anmount on the tab back and front. it just soaks into the leather wipe off any excess

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I bought a tin of Neatsfoot oil to soften my tabs, we used it a school on oilstones. Still have most of the tin left as I changed to compound.Shame it doesn't e-mail very well.

TomSDB

You can soften the leather by working it hard with your hands - twisting and rolling and folding it as you go. Try not to stretch it cos it'll change shape. Sit and play with it whilst watching telly- screw it up in a ball and keep crushing it in your hands. You should be able to do without oil.

I've just re-read this. Mega funny! I was talking about the tab...

cornish george

Neatsfoot oil as described, or any of the leather cleaner/nourisher products should do the trick. alternatively fit Oberon as face material and it's ready to go.