Some "Border" takesdowns over the years ....

Berny

Some "Border" takedowns over the years ....
Border-TDs-(1)-1 (Medium).jpg

The first "Border" TD was George Birnie's Royal Scots Bows "Executive" (circa '65), with a wooden riser, very much in the style of the Wing Presentation II.
(I've never seen one, although may have a photograph of one & some brochure/advert pics).
Next was the Kings of Kelso "Aquarius" (circa '71), with a metal riser & with limbs looking like those of the "Executive", with the classic Birnie "locator" section.
(never seen or have photograph of one of these, apart from brochure/adverts).
Now referring to the pictures:
1. '64-'68, Royal Scots Bows "Scots Guard" which becomes the
Kings of Kelso "Guardsman" & the Border Bows "Black Douglas"
- the latter introducing the name applied to the now "iconic" Black Douglas TD.
2. '72 Border Bows "Concorde"
3. '72 Starcraft "Tri-Star" - although not specifically Border's, the bowyer left Kings to join,
& later returned to Kings when Starcraft folded.
4. '75-'76 Border Archery I, "Argosy"
5. '75-'76 Border Archery I, "Argosy"
6. '75-'76 Border Archery I, "Comet"
7. '75-'76 Border Archery I, "Comet"
8. '77 Perris "Whitehart", Border limbs - not sure if a Mk1 with this date or late '80 Mk2.
9. '80 Border Archery I, "Mirage" (will later compare with the Marksman "Portland")
10. '79 Border Archery I, "Meteor" - riser only (limbs similar mount to Comet/Argosy but different
diameter bolt &/or pin).
11. '80 Border Archery I, "Mirage" - riser only (anyone got a set of spare limbs?)
12. '87 Pro Shop "Olympic Dream" - Border limbs.
13. '86 Border Archery I, "Victor"
14. '88 Border Archery I, "Black Douglas Mk2"
15. '97 Border Archery I, "Black Douglas Elite"
16. '97 Border Archery I, "Black Douglas Super"
17. '98 Border Archery II, "Carbon" ILF limbs on anon-riser.
18. '98 Border Archery II, "Viper" (a reprise of the Border Archery I "Lightning"?)
19. '16 Border Archery II, "Raptor"
20. '17 Border Archery II, "Covert Hunter"

Last edited:

robert43

Nice I still cant get over limbs of Boarder that are like #20 how curved they are un strung. Also if I keeped all my bows over the years my wife would have a fit if she knew how many I have owned ( but luckly for me I have sold most LOL)

Berny

Nice I still cant get over limbs of Boarder that are like #20 how curved they are un strung. Also if I keeped all my bows over the years my wife would have a fit if she knew how many I have owned ( but luckly for me I have sold most LOL)
I haven't kept any bows over the years, as such, I acquired them since 2009!
....but now my wife want me to "plan" what she's to do with them if i drop dead! ;-)
& she's not too happy at the number ....

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Limbs like that aren't a great deal different, strung...
Studio_20160820_133131.jpg

Berny

~'67/'68: Here's a George Birnie "Executive" - this was probably the UK's 1st "production" take-apart/take-down bow!
Executive-1-2-(5) (Medium).JPG
Here it is contrasted against some of it's contemparies: a '67 Wing "Presentation II"
(phenolic riser, but with laminated wood riser came to market '65 - usually credited as the 1st take-part/take-down bow in the world)
& a ~'67 Marsden Howitt (a little known bowyer from Darlington - but more custom than "production").
Executive-1-2-(14) (Medium).JPG

Stretch

I always wanted a 72” Victor with Purpleheart layer, beautiful bow but never in my budget. I used to drool over a 68” that they had in Mackenzies sport in Edinburgh back in the late 80’s. Unfortunately it was 4x the price of my Wha Gok :poop:

Do you happen to know the difference between the 1980s Mirage and the late 80s Victor? I never had the two side by side and to be honest my archery knowledge at the time was er… basic.

Stretch

Berny

I always wanted a 72” Victor with Purpleheart layer, beautiful bow but never in my budget. I used to drool over a 68” that they had in Mackenzies sport in Edinburgh back in the late 80’s. Unfortunately it was 4x the price of my Wha Gok :poop:

Do you happen to know the difference between the 1980s Mirage and the late 80s Victor? I never had the two side by side and to be honest my archery knowledge at the time was er… basic.

Stretch
longer riser in the Victor: Black Douglas 21", Mirage 23", Victor 25".
Low key marketing/launch in '87 of Victor & 1st picture ad. in '88.
198889-Quicks-p14-Border-Victor-Mirage-BlackDouglas_SuperRoyale (Medium).jpg
Design/geometry parallels that of the surface-mount bows: Lightning, Comet, Meteor
as in '78 advert:
197980-Quicks-p10-Border-Meteor-Comet-Lightning (Medium).jpg

I say ding dong

AIUK Saviour
~'67/'68: Here's a George Birnie "Executive" - this was probably the UK's 1st "production" take-apart/take-down bow!
View attachment 9104
Here it is contrasted against some of it's contemparies: a '67 Wing "Presentation II"
(phenolic riser, but with laminated wood riser came to market '65 - usually credited as the 1st take-part/take-down bow in the world)
& a ~'67 Marsden Howitt (a little known bowyer from Darlington - but more custom than "production").
View attachment 9105
Lovely things! Question; How did these "takedown". On the older models (which look a lot more chunky) I can't see any pockets into which the limbs would slide, nor can I see screw in bolts which can be viewed on the later versions.

Berny

They were really "take-apart" bows, the distinction being you needed a "tool" to assemble/take-apart,
whereas take-down needed no tools e.g. thumb bolts, slide-lock, etc.
The 3 bows shown all used hex/allen bolts i.e. you needed allen keys to assemble/disassemble,
e.g. no different to todays Covert Hunter/Black Douglas ;-)
Here's the "Executive" .... Executive-1-2-(2) (Medium).JPG

Berny

All 3 of the mentioned bows used this method & in '67 Marsden Howitt applied to patent it, granted in '68,
GB1136873A-p2.jpg
how i dunno, as Wing had done it like this 1st in '65 ;-)