South Korean Im Dong-Hyun. I think I found out what he sees.

philhoney

Hi,
I think I found out what it's like for Im Dong-Hyun when he shoots and I am amazed that he does it so well.
We shot earlier on this week on a rather damp evening. It had rained most of the day and the ground was soaking and we were still getting the odd shower.
Now I shoot compound with peep and scope and no matter what I did the scope kept misting over. I even tried wiping the scope before every shot but by the time I loaded an arrow and raised and drawn the bow it would be grey.
What could I see? Next to nothing. I could see a coloured object that stood out from the green but there is no way that I could tell one colour from the other, it was just a blur.
Did I shoot better? NO WAY. It was so distracting I had one of my lowest ever scores. The only positive was that all my arrows hit the boss.
Phil

mrtufty

I'm quite short sighted and if i take my glasses off then the target becomes more like a rainbow where the colour is always changing ie without a distinct boundary between the colours BUT they are still concentric circles just as exact as when seen with 20/20 vision.

gtek

I'm surprised at how many people believe this nonsense about Im's supposed eyesight. One erroneous Reuters report and you have people thinking a blind man can shoot World Records.

Think for yourselves people.

He's actually farsighted. He was holding my iPad at arm's length to read it in the hotel lobby in London.

M

Moose

I'm surprised at how many people believe this nonsense about Im's supposed eyesight. One erroneous Reuters report and you have people thinking a blind man can shoot World Records.

He's actually farsighted. He was holding my iPad at arm's length to read it in the hotel lobby in London.
The wonderful gentleman commentating on the Olympics for the BBC said something along the lines that he only had about 20% vision in one eye and about 60% in the other or it may have been less

Regardless of his vision issues he is a bloody good shot

Courtesy of iMoose

Nightimer

Of course he is not blind,I read that his vision is 20/200 20/100.
By his own admission he has vision problems.
Still a bloody good archer though.

philhoney

Hi,
I KNOW he is not blind, I never said he was. I based my OP on what I have read and what he has said.
I could see the target as a mass of colour that stood out against the grass and hedges that surround our field but I couldn't see the target clearly enough to make out the separate scoring zones. That is what I believe he sees no matter what the weather is doing.
Phil

DarkMuppet

Our club did a "have a go" at a local rotary fair the other week and I taught a rather tall gentleman the very basics to get his 5 arrows into the target ... 1st arrow into the 8 ring on the 80cm face... the next 4 all touched within the x ring. I jokingly said we have a ringer here.. :D He then said he shot for a while many years ago in a club in the midlands... a visually impaired club near litchfield.... his friend then walks forward and hands him a stick and his guidedog...
Bloody awesome!!! :D

backinblack

That would mean that he is short sighted...which seems to be the problem I am afflicted with in my frail middle age.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
That would mean that he is short sighted...which seems to be the problem I am afflicted with in my frail middle age.
Er, I'm short-sighted (Myopic) and I couldn't see an iPad at arms' length if it was on fire. It would be pin sharp 1cm from the end of my nose.