Spin wings v straight for field/3D

AndyW

It just struck me while reading another post that spinwings / Kurly vanes etc. seem to be almost exclusive to target archery and the 3D/field contingent (that I've seen) tend to stick with traditional type vanes and I wondered why. 3D/field shoot similar distances or closer and so I would have thought that the spin type vanes would have been more prevalent and yet no. I wouldn't have thought that it was a longevity/fragility issue as we really aren't as bad as made out with bashing arrows up. Is there a reason or is it just a culture thing? Has anyone got any like for like experience on spinnies in comparison with straight / offset vanes of a similar size?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I certainly miss a lot more on the field course, what with misreading the slope of the terrain, misjudging the distance, not realising that that low-hanging branch is in the arc of the arrow, etc etc. It's certainly not uncommon for me to be digging through the undergrowth for an arrow. Granted, not too often on my home course, but on an unfamiliar course - more than I'd like. So I like my arrows to be as robust as possible. I can then spend time shooting rather than fletching.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I find that most people who use spin wings in target also use them for field... and vice versa!!

T

the-poet

Watching footage of the world champs in various years most the top guys seem to be using spin vanes of some sort, even the barebow guys.

AndyW

Thanks all, I've no experience of WA champs etc. but didn't think they were that common esp. compound. I thought most of the U.S. big money guys chose vanes but that may be down to who pays the bills. Forgive my ignorance of them but what which would be best out of a compound at 60lb outdoor. For info. I shoot std diameter arrows off fingers and may give them a go as a look see now I've swapped to flipper and button. Offset Blazers clear ok so I'm assuming they would - ????
Thanks in advance.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
most WA compound, target and field, go for vanes, though there is a trend for some European nations, such as Italy, to shoot some sort of spinnies. XS Wings have stiffer wings for compound.

steve Morley

95% of Barebows in WA use spin vanes, IFAA Bowhunter you see a bigger mix of choices.

Feathers are still hard to beat (even some Olympians still prefer them for Indoors), the drawback is they will slow quicker on longer distances and of course the other issue is rain, for outdoor rounds spin vanes you don't have to worry about this, the arrow performs equally well on long and short distances and in both rain and dry.

If I know it's not going to rain, for WA3D (30m max) I prefer 3" helical feathers.

AndyW

Thanks Bimble / Steve, I've seen feathers more often than spinnies out of a compound but like you say there's issues. After talking to a guy at work I might give P2 eli vanes a go. I just like fiddling.
Thanks Again.

Mark31121

Ironman
That guy you work with sounds like a really clever bloke, I'm fairly sure he said S2 though for field...