Spotting Scope choices

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
As Stash says; 20x, will give adequate magnification at 100yd for target, or 180yd/165m for clout. Any greater mag. is wasted; 50mm lens min., personally I'd go for 60-80mm and definitely WATERPROOF.

Then all you need is good solid tripod...

Mick

M

Moose

Been looking at the celestron hd ones including the ones with the fluorine glass lenses

M

Moose

My trusty mm2 has died the lens has come loose in it housing and is just turning all the nitrogen has buggered off and it is misty so need a new scope

Maybe Santa will bring me one

Howi

Like anything in this world, you get what you pay for, you should be able to pick up something second hand for around ?100, it might be old but it will usually have a metal body and glass lenses, more modern scopes are plastic with plastic lenses, unless you are spending a fortune.
Greencat, Opticron, Hawk all have lots of models between them. if you want maximum sharpness, go for fixed FL rather than zoom, 20x to 25x magnification is all you need to see the nocks at 100yds. 50 to 80mm objective lens (front element), the bigger the better as the bigger lenses will let in more light. I get lots of Oohs and Aars when people look through my scope (a Hawk something or other) but my previous scope (opticron I think, an old 'un but good 'un) was much better and a bit cheaper. Once you have looked through a decent scope you will realise why there is a price difference. As has been said already, if you really want to have a bad day, try a leica or Swarovsky, then spend the rest of your life dreaming.

chris_uk_83

And don't bother with a cheap Vivitar scope off eBay for ?30 for the scope and tripod. You can't see arrows at 80yds. Granted they're skinny little A/C/Es but you still can't see them.

Aleatorian

Just recently picked up a Barr & Stroud 20-60x80 off of Amazon for ?95 can pick your arrows out at 70m with no issue and definately won't struggle at 90m/100yds

M

Moose

Santa did bring me the celestron scope and wow it is fantastic in low light conditions (indoor rifle range) and outdoors super clear and fuzz free even at high zoom close distance and long

posted by moose on the loose

Alun

I went for the Acuter DS Pro 20-60x80A ED. Overkill for seeing arrows, but I wanted something for birding anyway, so went for the ED option. Should arrive later this week.

leg_iron

I've just bought a Jessop 20-60 x80 scope from my friend as he has given archery up. It only cost me ?30 & someone in my archery club gave me a tripod for free.

whiz

I have a Manfrotto 055 Pro holding up my Zeiss Victory DiaScope 85 T* FL.
In early morning before the heat haze and if the sun is in the right spot to turn the targets slightly grey so that I can see the contrasting black, I can identify .22 holes at 800m.
It is absolutely total overkill for archery, but I may decide to be buried with it because I love it so much.
I can check just the ten ring at 90m from 30cm away from the scope eyepiece. Saves bending forward.
I can see quite clearly the rings of Saturn while shooting at night although nobody believes me until I show them.
It has a detachable eyepiece and I can get an adapter to take astronomical 1.25" eyepieces, so I'm going to drop a 3.6mm on into it to make it a ridiculous 139x to see what I can spot at night with it.
On the whole, totally recommended if you've wanted something like it for 24 years.
Almost at the point of impractical for archery, but it's hell fun doing line calls at 90m.

The little Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 45? Angled 12-36x50mm Spotting Scope that I bought just prior is awesomely practical for archery. It's compact, bright and waterproof. Highly recommended if you can get it for the cheap American prices.