Spotting Scope Stand

Ffish

I think most people use photographic tripods. I've got one from Hama, and their range is pretty good - here

GeorgeH

Spotting Scope Stands

Hi Worthipa:

Only when drunk.

But, the photo doesn't show the two extensions attached. (The scope comes with three tubes--one short and two long.) The stand can hold the scope up to 60 inches. I like the Ray-Vin stand since it is easy to move and adjust.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I discover something a bit important last night. I have a Hema stand and was trying out my new scope with the angled eyepiece. There are some new regs from Fita about scope height being allowed max up to your armpit (Judges seem to be talking about it but not enforcing it at the mo) and I'm going to have to put a measured mark on the legs and only extend a section so far in order to get mine low enough without spreading the legs too much. Think this'll apply to all stand though as they are all fully adjustable.

GeorgeH

Stands

Ray-Vin makes a 48 inch rod. That means that for most people the scope will be lower than their arm pits. An angled eyepiece makes using the scope easier when it is set-up low.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
But I don't have eyes in my armpit ....
:D Neither did I the last time I looked :lookaroun Its not an archer centred ruling, I think its so we are all more photographable/filmable.

GeorgeH - are these stands stable when its windy? I can see they are probably less hassle to cart about with the rest of ones kit, but surely a tripod is more stable than having a tallish pole on a flatish stand.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
:D Neither did I the last time I looked :lookaroun Its not an archer centred ruling, I think its so we are all more photographable/filmable.

quote]

I was told that it was due to people being injured by falling scopes!! Although if I were next to someone tall I'd still get hit on the head if the scope fell on me :duh:

I think the filming idea may be a better explanation!

Watch_Man

In recent windy conditions I hope it comes with a big ground spike to stop it tipping over :) Good idea though and could make more room on the line.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I was told that it was due to people being injured by falling scopes!! Although if I were next to someone tall I'd still get hit on the head if the scope fell on me :duh:
Some of the Grand Prixs have been very windy, but I'm sure in the Head to Heads the odd archer has probably had their face obscured by their scope. So those of us with straight scopes at eye height will have to find another way and we'll all have to stoop. :grumpy: It could be worse, they could be ruling all us women have to wear makeup ala synchronised swimmers, and smile all the time.

Doesn't apply to GNAS rounds though; could get to like them :eek:ptimist:

markmingay

I have an ancient Gitzo Reporter tripod very robust never fallen over whatever the weather.
To transport all my kit I steal the sons newspaper delivery trolley just the job. It wont be going back when he gives up his round, let them keep the deposit.

buzz lite beer

This armpit height rule! Is there going to be a nation standard armpit height or is it just individual to the archer?

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
This armpit height rule! Is there going to be a nation standard armpit height or is it just individual to the archer?

:rotfl:

I expect the judges will carry an armpit guide to they can test whether you're within +-5cm :stirthepo

GeorgeH

Stands

Most spotting scope stands that I have used are stable. The only difference is that over the years 80mm + scopes have become popular and stands that I use have gone from using 5/8 inch tube to 1 inch tube. Some companies have ground spikes or additional weight to be attached to the bottom.