spotting scopes

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Hazel and I will see you Sunday... hope you enjoy your new toy (whatever it is!)

P

pyroarch57

Timid Toad said:
I had a jolly good time having a look at what other people are using at the Scottish Champs a couple of weeks ago...and came home to a nice surprise...a backdated pay rise! So off to Amazon - very cheap and free P+P, and I've bought myself a prezzie! I'll try it out on Sunday at my very first Hereford. Nothing like making yourself an idiot in public!
Be careful Timid, My Ma always used to say "buy cheap buy twice" and she was so right!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Its a Nikon 80A. Its HUGE. I wasn't quite expecting it to be so large. However, it works very well at 8.30PM on a dingey day in Helensburgh - we shot my first clout and I can see my arrows from everyone elses. I've got a borrowed tripod thats very, very big, so I'm hoping I can arrange it so it doesn't annoy anyone else. I bought it partly because I know the name from the photgraphy side of optics. I know that less well known (to me) names might be better value for money but at least I know I'm not going to be buying a new one in a year or so. It has a 10 year warranty and seems pretty bullet proof. I was surprised that Amazon was the cheapest place to get it - with what I had to spend I could afford to upgrade to a better eyepiece.
Be prepared for a laugh - I've not got the hang of lugging it around yet and managed to drop my bow on Wednesday (no harm done) rather than let go of the scope.
Thanks every one for your help.:cake:

pelican

Great news, will see you tomorrow, Cal and I are at Glasgow too. Am determined to get a half decent Hereford score at last!
:cheerful:

rusty

Hi Timid Toad

So how is your Nikon 80a ? does it allow you to see fletching colours clearly at 80/90m ?
Thanks
R

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
its great, apart from being huge!:cheerful:
I can see my nocks, as well as fletchings at 80yds, but I can also see my fletchings at 145m - clout - at 8.30pm on a dingey day. Its terrific, and I'm really pleased with my choice. I do need a better tripod, as I'm using an old studio slik and its really hard to shift around. I can happily recommend it. You can get a Meade version thats supposed to be the same, for around the same money, but with a few extras thrown in. I decided to go for the Nikon as I am familiar with the name from the photography side.