Springy Rests

Mav617

Hi,

Does anyone use a simple springy rest on their Compound? I put a Whisker biscuit on my Bullet which I had on another bow but I don't require a containment rest and I'd like to see as much of the arrow as possible as I'm planning to shoot Bowhunter or Compound Limited.

Are springy rests a good compromise for finger shooters?

Stash

Absolutely not. For any finger shooting, where permitted by the rules, you want an adjustable tension and center-shot plunger type rest.

Springie rest was a passably good rest for compound/release shooting, but a bit difficult to set up and had no vertical adjustment, so it has become antiquated.

And by the way, in competition archery there is no such thing as a "good compromise". :D

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Fanio, I think the plunger allowed centre shot to be adjusted and spring tension could be adjusted, too. With a springy directly fitted you had to put up with what you got.
Having said that, I am not sure there was such a thing; I just have a picture in my head of a button with a springy on the end, where the tip would normally be.I may have misunderstood the picture all those years ago.

Just found an old catalogue. It shows the PSE springy and a Wilson Black Widow Arrow Flight Control. The Wilson has a plunger with a simple rest on the tip. The PSE is next to it with the spring on the end of a barrel that looks so like a button, I might have just assumed it was a plunger too. Perhaps PSE did make a springy with a button later on, or perhaps I imagined it .

Stash

Yes, your memory is not faulty. There was a springie type rest on a plunger, Golden Key brand, I think. Brass construction, not very smooth mechanism. Annoying to set up because you had to re-align the spring part when you made a center-shot adjustment. Like I said, outdated by superior products.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Heehee, so my memory was right.... that time??? Now where was I? Something about a rest, seem to recall. Yes, I think that is probably a good idea.

Mav617

Thanks all, in typical fashion I've already bought one. Ah well, it's only 7 quid.

Stash, could you recommend one of which you speak - is that a Cavalier type rest?

Stash

What's your budget range?

Since you're posting in the Compound forum, I'd assume you have a cut-past-center riser so you need something with a long arm, plus a long plunger. AAE (Cavalier) are good - the Free Flyte or more expensive Elite Free Flyte are good ones. On a budget? The Cartel CR201 will work. There are many older ones out there as well.

Beiter plungers are generally considered to be the best out there. but awfully expensive. Try the AAE long version Master Plunger. That with the regular Free Flyte should be affordable and good enough quality.

If you needed something better, you probably wouldn't have to be asking for advice. :D

jerryRTD

I use a Cartel Super button and a Spigarelli ZT arrow rest on my Oneida Pro Eagle. I have fitted the button so that the threaded ring that locks the button in place is on the sight window side if the riser. Use the stiffest spring that comes with the button. This is because you are going have a 340 to 400 spine arrow bent by the paradox and being pushed by a 60lb peak draw weight bearing on that plunger. A soft spring will allow the plunger to bottom out making tuning difficult and compromising accuracy.

jerryRTD

You will end up fitting a button sooner or later. The problem with that rest is that you can't adjust side force resistance without adjusting arrow off set. You are deliberately making tuning more difficult, and loosing accuracy.

Mav617

I want to keep things as simple as possible. Do I need to fit a button whatever type of rest I fit? Think I'll stick with the whisker biscuit until I'm totally happy with everything else I need to sort out in my form.

Stash

Watch some slow-motion video on Youtube of an arrow shot with fingers passing the riser of a bow, and then ask yourself if a Whisker Biscuit is a suitable rest for finger shooting. Then run to the nearest archery shop and get a proper finger rest.

:D

jerryRTD

I want to keep things as simple as possible. Do I need to fit a button whatever type of rest I fit? Think I'll stick with the whisker biscuit until I'm totally happy with everything else I need to sort out in my form.
If you do get to a point where you are totally happy with your form you will be the only archer that I have ever heard of that has been able to do that. You can shoot off fingers with a wisker biscuit but only if you get everything right, and I mean everthing,poundage of the bow, spine of the arrow, offset of the rest, consistant loose & nocking point height. only if you get everthing right will the arrow,bent by the paradox go through the WB rest.
It is not just a matter of looking at some spine charts and getting some arrows you will need to to bare shaft tune the bow. (down load the Easton Tuning Guide) and you can't do that with a WB because you will get random errors cause by the contact of the arrow with the WB rest. Tuning is a process that dials out the errors caused by incorrect spine, but you need consistant errors to make a judgement as to what to alter.
What you see as simple as far as equipment is concerned is in fact extreemly complicated as far as performance is concerned
Do yourself a favour listen to what you are being told and get a flipper rest and button. download the tuning guide and save youself a lot of trouble.

Mav617

Thanks Jerry and Stash. I've bought a Free Flyte Micro rest and a Cartel button and will proceed to bare shaft tuning when I can get some free time at the clubs range.

Last edited: