Strained wrist

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
One of our juniors has strained her wrist, the drawing hand, no bruising visable. Any ideas as to how she did it, and if so, what to do about it? Low Poundage bow, and no previous problems.

MisterB

She doen't do anything else that invloves a lot of repetative wrist movement does she? e.g. typing, other sports (e.g. badminton)?

The only thing I can think of is possible RSI if she does.

Furface

Supporter
Has she recently grown at all? This does odd things to all joints. LF strained her wrist at just such a phase. Her forearm had lengthened, and so, by drawing to the usual reference, and bringing her elbow back to the same place she unwittingly cocked her wrist, putting it in a weak, easily strainable position. She now shoots with a wrist stiffener (as used in 10-pin bowling).

dino1300

Tension in the drawing hand will cause quite a bit of discomfort after shooting.

It may be a twisting of the forearm, or pulling through a clicker (if there is one) using the wrist or finger muscles, not the back muscles.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
got out of bed?

Muscular injuries can be caused by almost anything.

When did the pain start and where is it located exactly?

Kae.

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
Thanks for the input, suspect it was a cocked wrist, will keep an eye on what she is doing plus will take a wrist stiffener in case it looks like being a recurring problem. She has a very thin wrist.

Neo

tell her to get a YORK or a NIKE wrist support and try shooting witht hat. I have bad wrists and sometimes this helps and you can strap them up tight when shooting.

ThePinkOne

tell her to get a YORK or a NIKE wrist support and try shooting witht hat. I have bad wrists and sometimes this helps and you can strap them up tight when shooting.
I disagree- first thing to do is suss out (a) what is causing the pain and (b) if there is any underlying problem/condition which can be fixed. All a support is likely to do is mask the problem until it becomes worse IMHO.

Sound like the idea of wearing supportive ankle boots all the time if you have "weak" ankles after an injury- actually the worst thing you can do as they just weaken further, whereas the correct strengthening exercises will rebuild and strengthen the muscles and ligaments. Or so the physio I saw at the time told me and time and doing the exercises proved her right.

P.

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
She has been shooting for 3 months now with no problems, so I suspect she has altered her draw so I will keep an eye on what she is doing. She is one of the quiet ones and just gets on with it, the noisy ones tend to get most of the attention.

Furface

Supporter
I disagree- first thing to do is suss out (a) what is causing the pain and (b) if there is any underlying problem/condition which can be fixed. All a support is likely to do is mask the problem until it becomes worse IMHO.

Sound like the idea of wearing supportive ankle boots all the time if you have "weak" ankles after an injury- actually the worst thing you can do as they just weaken further, whereas the correct strengthening exercises will rebuild and strengthen the muscles and ligaments. Or so the physio I saw at the time told me and time and doing the exercises proved her right.

P.
Yes - the idea of the wrist "stiffener" is to prevent a cocked wrist by making it impossible, but not to be tight enough to take the place of the muscles. It enables the correct exercises to take place. The underlying condition in the case of LF is hyper-flexibility, which we are addressing through strengthening exercises and the stiffener - not strapping or "support"

Neo

ok point taken

my wrists just click not much pain just click ver loud after shooting.

cliveanne

Ironman
I don't want to ring any alarm bells, but...
Last year, I was running a beginner's course, there was a young girl (About 15ys) who developed a pain in her wrist in week 3. Her mother took her to the Doctors for a check up. (I gave the young lady all the information she needed to take to the Doctor, ie, arrow length, bow poundage etc.etc.) The following week, they came back to me to say that after the Doctors examination, she would not be completing the course. It seems that her wrist would never be strong enough to take the strain, & that as a coach, I did the right thing in giving the info' to take. I'm pleased to say that I was in no way responsible for the wrist injury. This was from the Dr.
I thought it a very nice thing for them to come back to tell me, instead of just sending a letter or 'phoning.

This could be a warning to all coaches running courses: Keep your records up to date. I do a questionnaire for all would-be archers coming to my courses. When the course has ended, I give the paper to the archer concerned for them to keep or dispose of, as they see fit. I do not keep those records on electronic files.
I hope Greenmans' junior is able to keep up the archery.

Regards

dino1300

Wrists not strong enough?

If your form is good, then should you really need strong wrists?
The back of the drawing hand should be flat and relaxed. The fingers from the knuckles to the first joint (metacarpal) should be in line with the back of the hand. Use the 'bike chain' anolagy.

I wonder if these kids are overdrawing or pulling on the arm muscles and therfore bending the wrist.

I have seen many kids who look like they would snap in a light wind who manage to shoot all day.

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
I hope Greenmans' junior is able to keep up the archery.

Regards
She went bowling the next day ,which didn't help but is now back in action. Went through what had happened with her mother, the comments on here helped. Onwards and upwards it would seem.