Strange Nock Fit Problem

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I served a string recently and have ended up with a strange nock fit issue.

It would seem that if the string is in one position I have a really nice nock fit with the arrow clicking on and falling off with a smart tap. If the string is rotated 90 degrees, however, the arrows fall off the string.

I checked the size of the serving with a vernier, and it does indeed seem to be oval; not by much - something like 0.15 - 0.2mm (hard to tell exactly on string) but it seems to be enough to make all the difference.

Has anyone ever had this? I imagine that I could crimp it round with pliers but maybe I should just reserve it? Maybe with an extra strand in the bundle so a serving slightly out of round is not so critical?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Did you twist it approximately to length before doing the centre serving? That would normally encourage it to be more or less round.
One trick that's used with Beiter nps is to serve the centre area *really hard* - as tight as you can manage. It pre-shapes it before doing the proper serving (and helps fit the np, if the string size is a little tight for it). That might be a strategy to try.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Did you twist it approximately to length before doing the centre serving? That would normally encourage it to be more or less round.
I can't claim that it was exactly right, but yes, it was approximately right.

One trick that's used with Beiter nps is to serve the centre area *really hard* - as tight as you can manage. It pre-shapes it before doing the proper serving (and helps fit the np, if the string size is a little tight for it). That might be a strategy to try.
I'll try that, thanks.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Sometimes when we twist a string for length the twisting doesn't migrate all the way from end to end. At least it doesn't migrate in such a way that the twists per inch are the same at all places along the string. I found that putting the unserved string on the bow helps and particularly if I wind a shoe lace once round the string and drag it from end to end, pulling tightly on each end of the lace to keep it tight round the string. You can see the string change where that has been done, it has a shine and roundness that makes it look like a single thick filament rather than a collection of thin ones. Then serve so the serving action twists the string more as the work progresses, that tightens the strands together more.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Sometimes when we twist a string for length the twisting doesn't migrate all the way from end to end. At least it doesn't migrate in such a way that the twists per inch are the same at all places along the string. I found that putting the unserved string on the bow helps and particularly if I wind a shoe lace once round the string and drag it from end to end, pulling tightly on each end of the lace to keep it tight round the string. You can see the string change where that has been done, it has a shine and roundness that makes it look like a single thick filament rather than a collection of thin ones. Then serve so the serving action twists the string more as the work progresses, that tightens the strands together more.
I'll try that too, thanks.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I did wonder also if maybe I had a nice round bundle of string fibres but the tail of the serving thread running on top was making it oval.

ThomVis

if I wind a shoe lace once round the string and drag it from end to end, pulling tightly on each end of the lace to keep it tight round the string. You can see the string change where that has been done, it has a shine and roundness that makes it look like a single thick filament rather than a collection of thin ones.
Called garotting the string. You indeed create a neat bundle from the "loose" string strands. Also done to remove excess wax from the string after waxing. I use leftover string or serving material.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Garotting the string? I like the name; do you have anyone in mind as you garotte your strings? It would help to maintain the same amount of tension from end to end,yes?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well, I used the suggestions here and got myself a nice round serving. Thanks.

One interesting point; as I was removing the old serving I noticed that the serving had a sort of 'candy cane' distortion to it, with a slight lump spiralling round the serving. It wasn't apparent why as the string looked round when the serving was removed, but it's something to look out for in the future I guess.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Could be an indication of some uneveness in the strand tension as well, I'm sure I've seen stuff like that before...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I was just about to say a loose strand can produce the candy cane twist. Being loose, that strand gets wrapped round the others. The tight ones are too tight to move as individuals.