Strange Old Metal and leather Arm Guard/Bracer

Will Spalding

I was shown an old archery arm guard this morning at our local carboot,it was like a piece of armour with Aluminium plates and leather laces.I think it was for a lefthanded archer as it fitted my right arm better than it did my left. The strangest thing about it was a contraption like the sprung metal part of a mousetrap up near the wrist area, and a 6" long springy wire with a small leather cup on the end which looked like it was for a finger or thumb.Has anyone got any ideas about it ?. If the guy has it next week I will take a photo of it (or Buy it) and upload an image.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Possibly a mount on a wrist guard. So not for archery but for something else where the laces would be no the inside.
Without seeing it, maybe it fitted onto the wrist as a mount for a wristed crossbows, or perhaps a spring loaded knife? Without seeing it it's hard to come up with what it could be.

Bobc

In truth it does look more like some sort of dated medical support system rather than an arm guard.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Some sort of a splint or wrist brace (with that thumb loop on a spring)...?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Yeah does look like some wrist brace, though could always be converted to be a wrist mount for a crossbow.