String storage

nbuuifx

I've never had a case for my string - it has always lived 'loose' in a pocket of its own in my bag.

Similarly my daughters has always just lived in a poly bag that it came in.

I've noticed a lot of other archers keep them in a tube (looks like the original packaging that their strings came in).

Is it possible to buy replacement tubes to keep strings in? Or has anyone found a suitable piece of packaging from some other random item that does the job well? I'm sure there must be some kind of product which comes in a tube like that!?

messyhead

I keep mine in the tube it came in. I'm still on my first string, nearly 5 years later. But I've seen others just keep it in their bag or case. I suppose if your storing it dry, and it's not getting damaged, it should be ok.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Corax67

If our club members are anything to go by then I wouldn't worry about the string being loose in your bag or case since none of us that I know of use a tube, even if if their string was supplied in one.

Standard practice for us is to pop the served ends through each other to form a large single loop, fold this in half and lay flat in bag or case - I put mine in the middle of the padded accessory case in my Easton backpack.

I think someone told me when I first started shooting this is the best method since it prevented a build up of kinks that separate the strands but that may be an old wives tale, however my strings certainly stay in good condition with this method.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
To store a bow string, you might want to prevent the string twists from untwisting, or you might want to keep it away from things that could damage it in some way.If things can fall against it in your bag/box, perhaps those items could be secured somehow. If the string is going to fall about perhaps a self seal bag would allow it to be put away safely and kept clean. Some archers wind their string round two pegs so the twists stay in and the string is held away from other items.

messyhead

I use the string saver you can buy. You clip both the end loops into it. I then just file mine over and put it in the tube. Never had problems with knots or frays.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

nbuuifx

Thanks,

I put the loops through each other to stop them untwisting and fold and put in the back of the top pocket of my Easton Pro Tour bag, but have noticed that I am getting patches of string where it looks to be separating.

Just thought a tube would help to protect it a bit more.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Thanks,

I put the loops through each other to stop them untwisting and fold and put in the back of the top pocket of my Easton Pro Tour bag, but have noticed that I am getting patches of string where it looks to be separating.

Just thought a tube would help to protect it a bit more.
You might want to do a search for 'Clear plastic float tubes'. Would definately keep the string clean etc. Something like this...

https://poingdestres.co.uk/clear-float-tube

nbuuifx

You might want to do a search for 'Clear plastic float tubes'. Would definately keep the string clean etc. Something like this...

https://poingdestres.co.uk/clear-float-tube
Thanks that is the kind of thing I was thinking of.

I pass the loops through each other an store the string in a toothbrush case.

I paid much less for them though. :)
Those look interesting too.

The centre serving area on my string is 25cm long though, I take it I'm right that I need to keep that bit straight? If so I don't think it would fit in one of those.

ThomVis

The centre serving area on my string is 25cm long though, I take it I'm right that I need to keep that bit straight?
Don't put sharp bends in your center- and end-serving. I put my end loops in a >carabiner hook<, then fold the string keeping the servings straight and storing it in the mesh part (right side) of a SF Accessories Bag together with my spare string: