String wax alternatives!

Hudzi93

Hi, I don't have any wax to lubricate my bowstring so I've been using coconut oil instead. Will that do the job or would wax be better? The coconut oil lubricates it well but it doesn't really get the strands to stick together. Is that important?

Thanks

10point9

It's not about 'lubrication', it's about weather-proofing (specifically water-proofing). Traditionally beeswax is used, but modern alternatives are acceptable. The trick is to make sure that whatever you use doesn't damage the string! Many oils will 'eat' the string - again, depending on what the string is made of...

DaveLaurie

:yummy: I keep small chunks of beeswax with me, mainly because I can get it for nothing...

I will warm it up either in the sun, or in the palm of my hand, before rubbing it up and down the string a few times..

I then put a little bit of petroleum jelly on my fingers as I'm working the beeswax into to the string, (and then continue on to rub the petroleum jelly onto the cables on my compound bow ~ as per Martin's own care instructions..).
Read the ingredients on the better manufactured waxes, and you may well find these are often a couple of their main ingredients.. :poulies:

Hudzi93

Thanks, I ended up buying some string snot though as I heard that it was really good. It does seem to do the job well.