[Horsebow] Stringing a horsebow

rayguy

i have just acquired a chinese horsebow 55lbs but have difficulty stringing it due to a back problem.

can i leave it permanently strung when not in use.

thanks

ray

lbp121

Assuming it is a replica made of wood and glass i wouldn't worry unduly about leaving it strung. After all better to damage the bow than damage yourself and no-one unstrings compounds anyway. You will need to keep an eye on the brace height though.
How can you pull the bow and not string it? Maybe there is another stringing method you could use?

rayguy

Assuming it is a replica made of wood and glass i wouldn't worry unduly about leaving it strung. After all better to damage the bow than damage yourself and no-one unstrings compounds anyway. You will need to keep an eye on the brace height though.
How can you pull the bow and not string it? Maybe there is another stringing method you could use?

thanks
no problem pulling the bow but stringing a problem.
even with a bow stringer i need a third hand to loop the string on the end nock.

ray

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Moved to correct forum.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
This is the second thread about difficulties stringing horse bows. Are they that difficult to string?
What method do you use to string the bow? I have had no experience with stringing horsebows, but you say you need another hand to loop the string over the nock, have to tried having the string down the bow (so one end is in a nocking point and other is halfway down the top limb, so when you lift the bow on the stringer you can just push the string into the nocking point.............recurve style.
Or
Placing the curve of the bottom limb against the shin on one leg, bending it around the thigh of your other leg and pulling the top limb with one hand and matching up with the sting in the other hand?

I have a Korean one and I use that second method, I did have to make myself a pad that fits over my thigh, because being a skinny girl lol, the bow bruised my leg really badly! It's fine now with the pad that I made by killing a charity shop pleather hand bag :)

Cho Ng

Have a look at lukas novotny's website. Bows are very expensive but I think he has a section showing how to string bows

DavidH

I had real trouble stringing it the first time, and couldn't believe they had sent the right string length. In the end I've opted for the two person method, bending the bow across the knees and this is recommended by a number of sites. I haven't even shot the bow yet, I received it two days ago, and there's always a lot of apprehension when you first string a new bow. My longbow bowyer never recommends the step through method as it gives unequal pressure on the limbs, he prefers a stringer. I found it impossible to use a stringer on the horsebow as you pull way more than the poundage of the bow to set the recurves.

svendopel

Brought a Samick SKB last week and love it. Went with a bow stringer with string always attached to bow so I can just slide it into place. Works well and saves my muscles for shooting!

Riceburner

Lower end of string nocked, step into bow so that lower limb is hooked onto right leg just above knee, and mid section is behind left upper thigh. Upper limb can now be bent forwards using core muscles and upper end of string brought to upper nock.

Step left foot out of bow being sure not to get it muddy (thats the hard part!)