Suitable Target Scopes

Alexam

Hi Folks...

As a beginner I am curious to know of a good type and magnification of suitable scopes?

There seems to be an enormous selection on the Web pages at some horrific prices and I do not wish to pay over the odds for something more than I will need, so the ideal would be to see the target face sufficiently to identift arrows at up to 90mtrs . I'm sure you know what is best.

I feel sure that with all the expertise out there, some good information will be available and I m just preparing for a few weeks ahead when equipment will be my objective. Hope you can help.:beer::cake: and best wishes

Apologies if this has come up recently but I have not long joined in

King Custard

I'd consider something of 20-80x70 to be minimum requirements for 100yds/90m.
I've tried lower powers and nothing is clear, and you are reliant on there being some sunshine!
Bid well on ebay and you'll pay ?30.

Obviously better, brighter scopes cost more - but I'm happy enough with mine.

Alexam

Thanks Danny,

It was the last figure I was not sure of .... and understand that this relates to the amount of light and the higher the figure the higher the cost.

Quite happy to pay a reasonable amount, just wanted to have a good quality scope and I already have a couple of good, sturdy trypods from the years I was making amateur films. What make is your particular scope and can you recommend any other makes?

Thganks a bunch

Have some moor :pie::beer::cake:

Malcolm

hollowpoint

You may consider getting yourself a Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon or Pentax spotting scope. Those are some real good stuff.

Alexam

Thanks Hollowpoint,

I recognise the best......... I would like to get the best, but the price of some is rather high. I need to know what is 'good' as well as 'suitable' but say within ?100 max......... lower if poss. What do you use? Have some :pbjsandwi:beer: also

Malcolm

MarkH

If you can get one, look for nitrogen filled, as these are not prone to internal fogging and are waterproof. If you keep it dry there are some suitable scopes around for ?30 - ?100. Some of our club members are buying the scope available in Aldi. For ?25 you arn't going to break the bank and they are good for scoring at 100yds. There are other threads here discussing this scope.

In case you're not sure, the scopes are marked with the magnification followed by the lens diameter. Example, a 20 x 60 is a 20x magnification and a 60mm front lens. A scope with zoom could be marked 20-60x60. 20x should be adequate. Don't fall into the trap of high magnifications. You need GOOD optics for 60x magnification. Often a better option is lower magnification and better clarity.

I'm fortunate in that I have a Swarovski 20-60 x 80. You can check line cutters at 100y but at ?100+ they're a bit pricy just for shooting.

An alternative is a good pair of Bins. 8 or10 x 30 are excellent for use on the line, especially if you rest them on the top limb nock.

Good luck.

PS For Bins lok for 30mm optics. 20mm is ok but gets a bit difficult if light is poor. For a scope go for 60mm, as you only have one eye gathering the data and are generally higher magnification thus need more light.

Bald Eagle

Luyi, 25-115 X80, available on ebay spotting scopes, ?48 +delivery, (?61) I bought one to canibalise for the eyepiece for my Greenkat but use it as it is an excellent scope. Comes with camera adapter, stay on case and mini tripod.

MINIMike

There are some spanking good optics out there if you're ready to spend the GDP of a small latin american country.

For the rest of us there are some perefctly adequate 'scopes available for considerably less.

I know that Bald eagle eulogises about a scope he bought from Ebay. I'm sure he'll give you the details if you ask him nicely.

I use a Bresser Safari 20-60 x 80 available from Bowsports at ?99.95 Bowsports Spotting Scopes. It's perfectly adequate for the money but obviously no match for the Zeiss, Swarovskis, Opticron at al.

Broadly speaking, you get what you pay for.

Alexam

Thanks for the info guys,

it's a great help and I will now be looking these up.

The Bresser Safari looks good, but I would like to compare with the Luyi first so wil ask around and see if I can view a couple before dipping into the 'pot'

You all deserve the :pbjsandwi:cake::fruitcake:beer::beer:

Malcolm

speed

Ironman
As has been said above check out ebay I paid ?20 including postage for a 20-60X60 and the quality is excellent admittedly it is not as good as a Nikon but then the Nikon at nearly ?200 should be far far superior but for archery the quality diff just does not make the Nikon a viable purchase.

Also if you buy a cheaper scope to start with you can then decide for yourself if the magnification is enough or if you need a higher mag, also the front lens diameter at 60 is good but you may prefer a 70 or even a 90mm dameter front lens for extra brightness.
If you then decide to buy a bigger or better scope you have a backup to use or a scope if you are shooting alone at a club as isn't it preferable for some TOE-RAG TO PINCH YOUR CHEAP SPOTTING SCOPE THAN THE EXPENSIVE ONE OR WORSE STILL YOUR BOW.

hollowpoint

Thanks Hollowpoint,

I recognise the best......... I would like to get the best, but the price of some is rather high. I need to know what is 'good' as well as 'suitable' but say within ?100 max......... lower if poss. What do you use? Have some :pbjsandwi:beer: also

Malcolm
I m using a Meade Redtail 20X-60X 77mm spotting scope. It's far away from good. But seeing nocks with it from 90m will never be a problem.
The image quality is still good if the eyepiece is set all the way from 20X to around 45X. But beyond 45x, chromatic aberration is visually noticeable.

Alexam

Thanks to all again,

all useful info which will help. What a great site this is to expand knowledge of the art!

:beer::cake::beer::fruitcake:beer::pie::beer::cupcake: for all

Malcolm

Alexam

Thanks Yoda,

certainly seems a very low price and worth investigating.

May your arrows fly straight.:beer::fruitcake:beer:

Malcolm

FlourPower

Save making a new thread I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have any recommendations for tripods. Obviously it needs to be very stable preferably without a large footage so it will fit on the line.