The quest for the perfect Quiver/Bow case Combo

Fitzpatrick

Why do i always find a need for something that nobody invented?

I am looking for a single piece back-quiver with pockets large enough to fit a takedown recurve bow.
The reason i want this is because i dont want to disperse myself at the shooting range and i would like to keep all my belongings on my back while i shoot.
Simple procedure of taking the bow pieces from the pockets, assemble it, opening the quiver cap, and putting back the quiver on my back. Ready to shoot.

Unfortunately i could not find anything alike.
The only alternative i could find is using a Molle quiver or a shotgun scabbard and attaching it to another Molle sling-pack. The only long enough molle sling pack i could find is way too expensive to even consider.
The Molle attachment feature would blend together but the final result is a bit big to my taste.

Here is a picture of the shotgun scabbard: (30-40$)

And a picture of the molle sling-pack long enough to fit a recurve bow: (175-200$)

I would greatly appreciate any idea, input or alternatives you can think of.
Thank you.

Riceburner

I understand what you're trying to achieve, but I think there's some other things to think about.

Firstly - any backpack that can hold all your gear is going to be a bit of a problem for anyone else on the line that you're shooting with - especially if it's a small-ish club with a lot of people on the line. Just something that needs consideration. I myself shoot with a stalking quiver (home-made) and I know that I have to be careful when shooting indoors that I don't accidentally clout people with it.

Secondly - do you really want to be carrying your backpack back and forth all morning? Most are reasonably moisture-resistant so will be fine to sit on the the grass while you shoot.

The backpack you're looking for may not exist simply because it's actually not worth it.

ben tarrow

Is this intended for target or field?

I'm assuming field, because why would you want all your kit on your back for target

Fitzpatrick

It's for both target and field but mostly target and of course the typical SHTF preparedness.
I also did not like the common gear bags available out there because i find them too big. I mostly want to draw arrows from a back quiver
and the common archery gear bag either fit a tube attached on the outside or have just enough room to pack a hip quiver inside it. I want to avoid having two different bags for commuting
and any bag capable of storing a back quiver and the arrows would measure around 36 inches long. At this point an ar-15 soft rifle case could do the job but i would need to leave it somewhere while i shoot. I am also trying not to spend more money on the bag that i already spent on the bow itself.

I understand the concern for space between shooters in a crowded field but i would probably be more clumsy switching now to a hip quiver.
I dont know about the amount of people shooting at the fields, but i have 3 different ones to choose from. All within 15 minutes commuting from my home or my job. 2 indoors and one outdoor field (in summer). I live in the middle of a metropolis and i dont own a car so i wont have many occasions to go field.

I have tried to build the thing with plastic cardboard and it's actually not that big but i lack the sewing skills to make it good-looking. Im still working toward that solution if i cannot find anything else, i just need to redesign it. Currently it is composed of a hard tube that covers the length of the arrows, a hard compartment for the riser, i would add on it a cushioned pocket for the limbs. The triangular gap between the square shaped compartment and the cylindrical quiver could host a stabilizer sleeve, and on top of both pieces, two large pockets to carry the sight, string, gloves and other accessories.
I'm gonna try to make an image of it today.

ben tarrow

It's for both target and field but mostly target and of course the typical SHTF preparedness..
Why not have a backpack for carrying your kit and a separate back quiver. A back quiver big enough to carry your inevitably growing kit would be daft?

Fitzpatrick

Why not have a backpack for carrying your kit and a separate back quiver. A back quiver big enough to carry your inevitably growing kit would be daft?
Yes this option is viable, i will procure a big backpack anyway, but if the S don't hit the F, this option is not compact enough for my desires.

Riceburner

I understand the concern for space between shooters in a crowded field but i would probably be more clumsy switching now to a hip quiver.
I didn't suggest that you did.. ;)

I use a 'stalking quiver'* and I find it takes up much less room on the line than a hip quiver - BUT I think if I had a backpack that ALSO had room for riser/limbs etc etc then it would be too large on the line.

There's very little risk in leaving your bow backpack somewhere on the ground while you shoot. You have to leave your bow somewhere while you go fetch your arrows each end anyway.....

* similar in concept to this

Mine is homemade from a plastic arrow tube. I also carry the arrows 'upside down' - with fletches at the bottom.

bowser

For what its worth I use a shotgun holster as a quiver and it works great. I havent got a take down bow, but from my previous occupation, I can say that there are a number of backpacks with molle fittings that would suit, try somthing designed for a carbine rather than a rifle, its not a specific term but carbine normally refers to short rifle.
Howerver there are tactical quivers with molle which you could attach any number of molle bags and pouches which might accomplish the same, Primal Revolution Tactical Quiver there are cheaper but this was the first picture I could find.

However there are a number of manufactures for backpack quivers such as this https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/515732594804998451/

Here is one of the tactical quiver on a rucksack

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/481463016389740407/

here is another backpack quiver

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/24840235422344354/

Have a look at bags for airsoft, for your use ideal but way cheaper than "genuine" firearms stuff.

Airsoft Tactical Gun Bags

here is a way way expensive leather set, looks good but the cost is outragous

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/370069294351934964/

is that enough ideas or do you need some more?

Fitzpatrick

is that enough ideas or do you need some more?
Thanks, there was a few picture here that helps make my mind. I do have more questions for you Bowser regarding your shotgun holster.
First can you identify your model? is it any of these two?

NcSTAR MOLLE Tactical Shotgun Scabbard (this is the one with adjustable length )
http://cdn1.evike.com/images/large/cvrscb2917u.jpg

CONDOR Tactical Shotgun Scabbard
http://cdn3.volusion.com/oybs6.39kfn/v/vspfiles/photos/148-4.jpg?1455792439

Then, I want to know if you use any kind of arrow tube inside the shotgun holster?
Some of these shotgun scabbards have a folding tip to be able to adjust the length.

I was thinking it could do the following:

Tip unfolded to cover all the arrow length for transport
Then
Tip folded to push the arrows upward and make them appear for shooting.

Does that makes sense?

bowser

Thanks, there was a few picture here that helps make my mind. I do have more questions for you Bowser regarding your shotgun holster.
First can you identify your model? is it any of these two?

NcSTAR MOLLE Tactical Shotgun Scabbard (this is the one with adjustable length )
http://cdn1.evike.com/images/large/cvrscb2917u.jpg

CONDOR Tactical Shotgun Scabbard
http://cdn3.volusion.com/oybs6.39kfn/v/vspfiles/photos/148-4.jpg?1455792439

Then, I want to know if you use any kind of arrow tube inside the shotgun holster?
Some of these shotgun scabbards have a folding tip to be able to adjust the length.

I was thinking it could do the following:

Tip unfolded to cover all the arrow length for transport
Then
Tip folded to push the arrows upward and make them appear for shooting.

Does that makes sense?
No idea of the make, it does not have a folding tip and the fetchings only just poke out the top but it is easy to get hold of them, I have used it with tubes in but in the end felt it wasnt need so took it out, I just use black pvc plumping pipe cut to length.

Fitzpatrick

Ok, took some days to find time to do this. Here is the way i see it. Excuse the rushed 3d modeling, took me an hour. Trying to build a first prototype. Maybe push this on kickstarter who knows?

Attachments

Last edited:

grndkntrl

Supporter
Supporter
I'm impressed! That actually looks pretty good for a out in the woods or field pack. You'd probably get some interest from folks over on your side of the pond in the Archery-Talk.com forum, as this seems to be something they may go for.

Fitzpatrick

Ha! I solved it! Well, halfway solved it. I'm gonna go for the shotgun scabbard and i will attach it somehow to this bag:

Another picture here but i prefer keeping this one in a link.
http://www.zenathletics.com/images/products/yoga/5-pocket-mat-bag/wte10110-4.jpg

It's originally intended for a yoga mat. A client abandoned it at my archery store and the owner sold it to me for a small little 10 bucks. (mine is black btw)

It's called zenzation athletics 5 pocket mat bag.

Perfectly fits all my gear. Riser, limbs, string, 6 inch stabilizer/vibration dampener, sight, gloves and armguard. Only need to wrap the riser and limbs in a towel to add some protection and its ready to go.
Added to this an adjustable arrow tube and 3 more arrows. (unfortunately i need to change them, i took 1.5 inch to short by mistake.)
The guy was even able to order for me a TruGlo picatinny stabilizer insert so i can save big on the shipping charge.

I recommend them to everyone in need of archery gear in Montreal.
Arc ?lite - HOME

Now i can go shoot without rushing the construction of the Quiverbag(TM). (which remains a serious project)
Thanks for your input, ill be back later with pictures of the current bag setup and much later with a first Quiverbag(TM) prototype.

Attachments

Last edited:

Riceburner

Ok, took some days to find time to do this. Here is the way i see it. Excuse the rushed 3d modeling, took me an hour. Trying to build a first prototype. Maybe push this on kickstarter who knows?
I like that it only has one strap - that way you aren't worrying about string clearance.

I'd recommend a 3rd strap that comes across your chest and down to the lower part of the primary strap.

Reason: whenever you lean over (eg to pick up an arrow), the entire pack will try to fall off your back.

I use a stalking quiver (as said above) and without a strap from roughly mid-heigh on the back unit, round to the lower part of the primary strap, the entire thing DOES tend to fall off. I carry mine over my left shoulder so the primary strap goes from left should to right waist. I've included a bungee strap from approx mid-height on the 'pack', which comes around my left torso and hooks onto the primary strap just above my waist.
Crumpler packs use a similar thing - they call it a 'Third Leg'.

Highly recommended.