Barebow Three fingers over release

Razorback

I'm a barebow target archer with a preferred release (unsurprisingly) of three fingers under with my index finger against corner of mouth anchor point.

However from a sight mark on target perspective this is only effective up to about 60 yards, to reach 80 yards I use the same anchor point but switch to one finger over & at 100 yards it's one finger over anchoring under chin.

I'm getting more comfortable with the one finger over release but as I absolutely hate anchoring under my chin, I've found myself wondering if a three finger over release could be used to enable me to retain the corner of mouth anchor at 100 yards.

Would be interested to know if any other archers have considered this as an option or even given it a go?

steve Morley

Typical Barebow, thinking outside the box for a solution.:cool:

Sound like worth a try, I've never tried personally as I shoot mostly Field/3D and only a few 70m target rounds. They have recognized BB now and have our own Div, so 60m max in target now.

Kickaha

When I started target barebow I suggested using a left hand tab and go to one finger under to get point on aim. He told me that would not be legal in competition and I thought no more of it.

Does anyone know for definite if it would be allowed ?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
When I started target barebow I suggested using a left hand tab and go to one finger under to get point on aim. He told me that would not be legal in competition and I thought no more of it.

What archery organisation? Which discipline?

Insanity-Rocks

A quote from Chair of Rules committee (in response to questioning the legality of thumb rings for horsebows, but coveres this quite nicely)

"I would also refer you to the Recurve bow rules (202) which govern the other rules on barebow etc, which refer to the "fingers of the other hand draw, hold back, and release the string". (Rule 202 (a) (iii)"

No mention of where on the string those fingers have to be :)

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I'm getting more comfortable with the one finger over release but as I absolutely hate anchoring under my chin, I've found myself wondering if a three finger over release could be used to enable me to retain the corner of mouth anchor at 100 yards.
I've tried that! It worked alright, but:
- the bow tended to pull upwards as I drew;
- the bow shook badly after the shot, suggesting that it didn't like the unusually high load on the top limb.

Results on the target were (by my standards) OK. But I've gone back to compound...

[Edit]

And yes, it's legal. As Insanity-Rocks says, for Recurve Barebow there's no mention in the rules of where the fingers have to be on the string (though Recurve Traditional specifies a consistent anchor point). The only mention of string walking and face walking is in the WA rules for field, which state that these techniques are permitted. I assume that some national rules don't permit them, so WA state explicitly that they're allowed.