Tiller Bolts

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Ok, I've got a slight discrepancy in my tiller and I want to try and get it neutral (which has in the past proven to be the best setting). I seem to have knocked it out slightly.

Which way do I adjust a tiller bolt to reduce a tiller measurement on a limb?

I always get it wrong and adjust them the wrong way. Always. :confused:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Measure the tiller at the ends of the riser, top and bottom, and notice which is the shorter one. Let's imagine the bottom one is shorter as that was the case for most bows before adjustable limbs.
With the bottom gap being shorter it means the bottom limb is pulling harder against the string and making that tiller gap smaller.
To get equal tiller, you could relax the bottom limb, by turning the bolt anticlockwise like unscrewing a bottle top. The butt end of the limb will stick out from the pocket more than it did before.

To answer your original question( with no explanation) reduce tiller distance by tightening the appropriate limb bolt; clockwise like screwing on a bottle top.
CLOckwise turns make the string move CLOser to the riser CLOsing the gap.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks, that worked. I don't know why; it's just something that I have a mental block on.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think some "blocks" are a bit like not knowing how to spell a word because there are two letters we get the wrong way round, and never fully sort out the correct one.
Twisting on a lid or twisting it off is a similar problem; but most of us will know which way removes a lid than know which way to turn a bolt/nut.
It's not just knowing the name for the direction of twist; but more about the direction the lid travels in relation to lifting it off or closing it down.
Adjusting windage on the sight is a similar problem for some. If you look at the knurled wheel( as you would a bottle top) a CLOckwise turn will bring the aperture CLOser to the riser.