:poulies: :target:

G

GuardianAngel

Be less rubbish...

Seriously proper planned practice, keep going and slog through the tough times and try and enjoy.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Read books, look at videos of the best archers, listen to a good coach, practice hard.

BigShot

While the standard answer is "practice" - that word needs some defining if you're going to improve as much as possible.

Practice does not mean turning up and shooting a certain number of arrows or for a certain length of time.
Practice means methodically working on and improving all aspects of your shot: posture, grip on the bow, draw, anchor, release, follow through and more.

Find (either from input from a coach or by videoing yourself) something that needs work and then work on it until the improved form is second nature. Then move on to something new.

This approach has served me well so far (I'm in my 9th month shooting now) and I think it should work for anyone from the casual shoots-only-for-fun archer to the type who takes it a bit too seriously (me).
I'm starting to work on being more methodical still now, doing some non-bow exercises (stretch bands, straps and the like), mental exercises and so on... but this takes a bit more time and dedication. Not so much the shoots-for-fun archer shouldn't do it or wouldn't benefit from it, but enough that some might not want to put in the extra effort.

Good luck. :)

G

GuardianAngel

BigShot said:
While the standard answer is "practice" - that word needs some defining if you're going to improve as much as possible.

Practice does not mean turning up and shooting a certain number of arrows or for a certain length of time.
Practice means methodically working on and improving all aspects of your shot: posture, grip on the bow, draw, anchor, release, follow through and more.

Find (either from input from a coach or by videoing yourself) something that needs work and then work on it until the improved form is second nature. Then move on to something new.

This approach has served me well so far (I'm in my 9th month shooting now) and I think it should work for anyone from the casual shoots-only-for-fun archer to the type who takes it a bit too seriously (me).
I'm starting to work on being more methodical still now, doing some non-bow exercises (stretch bands, straps and the like), mental exercises and so on... but this takes a bit more time and dedication. Not so much the shoots-for-fun archer shouldn't do it or wouldn't benefit from it, but enough that some might not want to put in the extra effort.

Good luck. :)
I agree. Cant remember the last time I just turned up and shot. I always have an idea of what I want to work on whether it be form or trying equipment changes.

Currently I am shooting timed rounds to simulate the pressures of competition which helps when the outdoor season gets underway.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Practice and concentration are key, but you've also got to enjoy it. Your shooting won't improve if you start facing archery as most people face their job, something you must do but don't really have any inspiration for.
One of the harder sides of archery (or least for me) is to concentrate, but not think. So I find having music playing or having a tune in your head will help you focus and not think about what your doing.

Neo

They say one session of shooting a week and you will not really improve, two sessions and you will see improvments, three sessions and you will improve, meet goals and succeed in your archery.

But of course it does depend what you want out of it., Badges, Medals, Classifications, Fun. Shoothing through the summer just aiming for a classification became very frustrating and as a lot of people have said before I hated archery. I needed the break indoors to get away from shooting Fitas and Yorks. Your first few years are great cos you can see improvments each time you shoot jumping 5 - 6 points a session for example. After a few years it becomes less apparent to see improvment. My portsmouth PB is 592 and with 8 points to find I can get close with 590 589 588 but to find those last 8 points is tourmenting me. Once you know how to shoot a 10 its repeating the process and making as few mistakes as possible.