Titan Recurve Scope

chemistry

Dear all,

I have a Titan Recurve Scope/Pin which I am considering to 'upgrading' and wonder if others are interested.

Specifically, whilst the Titan is a great product, as someone who shoots with an open ring there are two things I don't like about it.

Firstly, I find the Gunstar reticles difficult to apply accurately (i.e. put dead centre) and difficult to see against the target (too thin, wrong colour for me, etc.). Secondly, I don't like the fact that it in the rain the sight picture can get obscured when the lens gets wet.

Consequently I have been thinking about obtaining a replacement lens, to solve these problems. What I've got in mind is a zero-power anti-reflection coated lens with a 6mm or 9mm hole in the centre. Into that hole I plan to put an open rubber grommet (i.e. an o-ring with a groove around the circumference) to create the aiming circle. Different grommet sizes could be used to give different ring thicknesses and aperture sizes.

I've got quotes and the cost for one of these lenses is ?126 + VAT (ouch!). However, for 5 they would be ?36 each (plus VAT & postage) or for 10 it's ?24 each (plus VAT & postage) - not much more than a lens from Titan.

Accordingly, I'm (selfishly) curious to know if anyone else would be interested in getting a lens made up too, to help get the costs down!

Thoughts?

chemistry

PS. I know that Gunstar and others do different stick-on reticles in black etc. so no need to point that out. I'm really just curious to see if the system outlined above would be a better solution i.e. fewer problems in the wet, more defined aiming circle, easier to adjust aperture size, etc.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It might be worth running some tests on a cheap plastic lens that you can drill yourself.
My other thought is about needing the scope, to hold a lens, to hold a grommet.
What are your reasons for not just using a grommet sized hole in a normal aperture?

chemistry

Geoff,

Your point about the cheap plastic version is a good one. To be honest, I'd had the same thoughts and am waiting to get the grommet samples delivered before going ahead. Also, unless at least a couple of other people from my Club fancy a lens too, I won't be going ahead as ?126 for an experiment is a lot!

As for grommet in lens...essentially its the same as the typical Titan set-up, i.e. a circle on a lens floating in space. This is better than the circle alone (IMHO) because you get two for the price of one i.e. the Titan body give one large circle to frame the target and the inner ring gives a second circle to frame the gold.

Finally, I like to fiddle and try and invent better mousetraps. It might all come to nothing, but no harm in trying!

chemistry

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Well, I understand the thinking about making your own. It is great fun and adds a new dimension to the archery.Good luck with what you are doing.
One of the elements you might be interested in exploring is the thickness of the wall of the ring.

GreenSteve

I have just recently purchased a Lens with a 5mm ring direct from Titan (no pin hole for a Flou Pin)
Just need a day off when theres not a howling gale blowing to get out and try it out.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have just recently purchased a Lens with a 5mm ring direct from Titan (no pin hole for a Flou Pin)
Just need a day off when theres not a howling gale blowing to get out and try it out.
if you dont mind the questions steve (cant see the info on the titan site) - how much was that and how did you order it ? - did you need to email direct as i cant see an option to just order lenses in their shop)

slainte :lookaroun rob

Tropicalshot

I am going to try one of these, i took the fluro pin out of mine a while ago and my results improved, i also go a smaller O'Ring with a larger X section to reduce the appeture,

Tropicalshot

if you dont mind the questions steve (cant see the info on the titan site) - how much was that and how did you order it ? - did you need to email direct as i cant see an option to just order lenses in their shop)

slainte :lookaroun rob
Contact Marcus 26 on the forum, i am sure his shop can aquire them,

Big.Dave

I have looked at the Titan sight and decided not to buy it because it has a lens in it. It works all well and good untill it rains. At least with the compound competitons every one will be in the same boat and the playing field will remain level but not all recurve archers use them and they will have the advantage of not having to deal with the distaction of a blurred sight picture. And with the gunstar stickers yes your right getting them dead centre is going to be a pain.

I say save your money get a Beiter sight pin with frame inserts and you will have none of thes problems and if you go for the one with the clear insert holder and red inserts you will get a brighter sight picture as well good for indoors and failing light.

So sell your Titan pin and you should have enough money from that to buy a Bieter pin and all the inserts with change left over.

And No I do not work for Beiter but if they want to give me money I'll be happy to accept :)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Being in Lancashire I've shot quite a few times in the rain. Never had a problem with my Titan. Yes it attracts the odd drop of water when the rain comes in at a certain angle but it's never caused a problem when aiming.

chemistry

Maybe it was my choice of ring.

Last time I used it in the rain (a frostbite) the drizzle got all over the lens and I couldn't make out the (orange) ring on the lens. Consequently I was aiming using the circle created by the Titan housing itself - too large for me and I shot a personal worst by far.

Since then I've been thinking that there should be a better solution!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If the lens doesn't magnify it can be a hindrance in wet weather.If it doesn't magnify, what are the advantages in the dry?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Chemistry,
I suppose I half expected that answer; it is something I tried on more than one occasion.
I think the grommits idea is sound.
I hope I don't sound negative about the lens idea, but it does have one disadvantage and a serious one outdoors.
The open ring has one very good feature in that it allows the archer to look fully at what he/she wants to hit.
If the open ring is attached directly to the threaded rod, as in simpler sight apertures, the threaded rod can be seen as a bit of a distraction, yes?
At full draw and on aim, looking only at the yellow, I suspect the distraction becomes all but invisible; I can't see the threaded rod when I'm fully aiming.:innocent:
If I were in your place, I would still go ahead and make your sight with the grommits!! Enjoy.

Big.Dave

Hi Chemistry,
I suppose I half expected that answer; it is something I tried on more than one occasion.
I think the grommits idea is sound.
I hope I don't sound negative about the lens idea, but it does have one disadvantage and a serious one outdoors.
The open ring has one very good feature in that it allows the archer to look fully at what he/she wants to hit.
If the open ring is attached directly to the threaded rod, as in simpler sight apertures, the threaded rod can be seen as a bit of a distraction, yes?
At full draw and on aim, looking only at the yellow, I suspect the distraction becomes all but invisible; I can't see the threaded rod when I'm fully aiming.:innocent:
If I were in your place, I would still go ahead and make your sight with the grommits!! Enjoy.
I agree a sight with a non magnifiying lens is a waste of time and it is more of a disadvantage. The Titan sight looks good and is nicely made but it needs to understood that it is just an expensive Gimmick!!! I'm sorry to be harsh but you just have to put it down to a bad buying choice.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I agree a sight with a non magnifiying lens is a waste of time and it is more of a disadvantage. The Titan sight looks good and is nicely made but it needs to understood that it is just an expensive Gimmick!!! I'm sorry to be harsh but you just have to put it down to a bad buying choice.
YMMV ...

slainte :raspberry rob

southpark78

I've shot with a Titan for the last couple of months and got around the water droplet issue by coating the lens with a product called Rainex .. (available from most motor accessory shops) as this breaks the surface tension and the water doesn't bead up just runs out.. Wouldn't swap it :jump: