training with compound

Hidden Hippo

Shoot lots - been the best thing for increasing my scores without any real extra effort. Moved my 720 PB from 570 to ~600 in 2 weeks during my first season.

Marcus26

1) Technique.
Get yourself a Evolution release aid and develop a recurve style biomechanically strong technique. Use a straight arm and a solid side of the jaw anchor point.
Squeeze the release. Do not punch or make the release fire. This is VERY VERY important.

2) Shoot lots
But shoot with meaning. I shoot in my hallway at 15m into a targetbutt with odd old arrows. I have them grouping above the face and carefully aim at the face. I always practise my aiming and squeezing of the release.

3) Strength build.
Develop a weight training regime, in particular the shoulders. If you can also run.
Add weight to your bow, even if it;s just for training.

4) Mental development.
When you can score rounds. ALWAYS SCORE when you are at the club. Develop a database of your scores and learn your average. (BTW your AVERAGE is NOT your Personal Best)
Do not be mad if you shoot average.

5) Shoot competitions
Shoot lots and often and do not be afraid to lose.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Not much can be added to above

Core strength and strong legs are good too :cheerful:

Hidden Hippo

If you really want to be serious I'd also look at general cardiovascular fitness as something to train as well. It can be very helpful to have a slow heart rate under pressure and a CV workout will help to lower the resting rate (mine sits around the 55-60 mark at the moment but I'm a fencer as well as an archer).

Marcus26

One of Australia's greatest archers has a resting heartrate of about 105. I'm not convinced it's all that helpful. Brute force is much more useful in archery.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
If you really want to be serious I'd also look at general cardiovascular fitness as something to train as well. It can be very helpful to have a slow heart rate under pressure and a CV workout will help to lower the resting rate (mine sits around the 55-60 mark at the moment but I'm a fencer as well as an archer).

My resting heart rate is about 100 bpm's!! :scratchch

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
Shoot lots!!!
Even better, if you can shoot lots with archers who are better than you. Then watch, listen and learn.

This also includes all other styles. Rarely, if ever, are you going to get beaten because they have better equipment than you. Watch different peoples style, and behaviour, and see if any of the things they will do will work for you. There is no perfect text book style that can be learned from books. We are all different. Eventually, you will find your own style. But watching better archers will give you ideas. Well IMHO that is.

Hidden Hippo

Perhaps setting a bpm target wasn't ideal, but more efficient transfer of oxygen from the lungs is helpful as is efficiency in the muscles.

C

Compound10

Even better, if you can shoot lots with archers who are better than you. Then watch, listen and learn.

This also includes all other styles. Rarely, if ever, are you going to get beaten because they have better equipment than you. Watch different peoples style, and behaviour, and see if any of the things they will do will work for you. There is no perfect text book style that can be learned from books. We are all different. Eventually, you will find your own style. But watching better archers will give you ideas. Well IMHO that is.

THis is so true - I have made some of my biggest steps up shooting with the bowmen level archers in my club. Not sure why it just seems to spur me on.

Hidden Hippo

For me its a very psychological thing (particularly with compound) that you want to aspire to be able to compete with the best in the club. Perhaps its just my competitive nature coming through and wanting to win.

C

Compound10

For me its a very psychological thing (particularly with compound) that you want to aspire to be able to compete with the best in the club. Perhaps its just my competitive nature coming through and wanting to win.
Think you are right - [thinks] course I can beat the guy who's shot for 20 odd years even though I've only done it for 8 months :cheerful:

Or the other thing that works for me find the 3 or 4 guys who you respect as shooters in your club in your bow type. Then pick them off one by one.... [not in a day of the jackal way] when you have beat the one closest to you then target the next and so on....

el_t

Or the other thing that works for me find the 3 or 4 guys who you respect as shooters in your club in your bow type. Then pick them off one by one.... [not in a day of the jackal way] when you have beat the one closest to you then target the next and so on....
That's fine in principle, but as there is only one other compound shooter at our club I'm a bit stuck.

The thought of picking people off one by one appeals though - bad week at work. :bang:

L