Twisting your string!

wingate_52

So how many twists do you put in your string. Is it a trial and error setting? How do you keep those twists in, or do you twist and count them each time you string your bow? Noise, or lack of it equals performance?

Furface

Supporter
A fair rule of thumb is 1 twist per three inches of bow length. Keep the twists in by leaving the string on the limbs when putting away, and always putting them on the same way. Noise tends to be an indicator of misused energy.

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Quite a few people thread the loops of the string inside each other when they store the string away. I guess how many twists you put in it depends on checking your bracing height as well.

Pete

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
FastFlight needs quite a few twists -- I've got about 1 twist per inch. It can take up to 1.5 twists per inch (if memory sieves me correctly). Other string materials need fewer twists.

I use a cable clamp to keep the right number of twists in my string. Pop both ends into the open clamp and close it -- no chance of it untwisting.

Field Archer

I make my own strings for my 68" recurve. I try to make them so that when shot in there are 20 to 30 twists, which is about the same as Furface has suggested.

If you look at the recurve manual on the Hoyt website, they recommend, no less that 10 and no more than 50 twists.

I also use the cable clamp method to hold the two loops together when not in use.