Unexpected promotion.

philhoney

Hi,
We had our AGM last night and I have gone from being general dogsbody and apprentice equipment officer to Chairman.
I knew our long term Chairman was standing down to go and live down under but when I was proposed and seconded I was gobsmacked.
They did tell me not to worry, I could still glue on nocks and fletchings.
I also got the post of records officer, something which I've been doing for the last 2yrs without it being official.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Phil, well done to you. I guess all the hard work you put in ,sometimes behind the scenes, is appreciated.Cheers again!

philhoney

Hi,
Thanks Geoff. I was half expecting to be promoted to equipment officer as I've done just about all the practical work that's been needed since I joined the club but to be given the chairmans job was a total surprise.
I just hope I am up to the job. They'll have to hold my hand for a while.
Phil

Whifflebat

Well done and congratulations.

Little scary to be thrst into the big seat! But I hope it's nice to know that all of your work has been appreciated and how much confidence the club has in you.

First decree: blow the reserve budget on a huge shindig! They'll say yes to anything with a few medicinal spirits warming the old tum :) <gavel>

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
HeeHee I like Whifflebat's suggestion for a gentle settling in party.
Just out of interest; is there a job specification for post of chairperson? Without one, how does anyone know if they are doing a good job or not?

Stash

I don't know how things are in the UK but here, such "promotions" are in reality considered punishments... :D

My congratulations or my sympathies. You pick. :D

tel1NULLED

Phil......what perks do you get???? Will you be moving over the Monaco with your namesake Phil Green??? (Congratulations)
TC

philhoney

HeeHee I like Whifflebat's suggestion for a gentle settling in party.
Just out of interest; is there a job specification for post of chairperson? Without one, how does anyone know if they are doing a good job or not?
Hi Geoff,
It has been suggested that we have a bit of a "do". Not for my new post but for our outgoing chairman who is emigrating with his wife to Austraila. His daughters already live there so he is going out there to retire in the sun with his family around him.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Phil, are you going to be Chairman, at the time of the "do"? If so, set you markers out and show them you mean business, no alcohol, no smoking, no party poppers!!

philhoney

I don't know how things are in the UK but here, such "promotions" are in reality considered punishments... :D

My congratulations or my sympathies. You pick. :D
Hi Stash,
I think I'll take the congrats. I was talking with the retiring chairman after the AGM and asked "Why Me"? He said that it was because I had done more for the club in the 3 1/2 years that I have been shooting than other members (apart from our treasurer) had done in the last 10 years.
I don't see it that way. If something needs doing or making I just get on with it without seeking recognition. The club thinks different.
Phil

grimsby archer

I was talking with the retiring chairman after the AGM and asked "Why Me"? He said that it was because I had done more for the club in the 3 1/2 years that I have been shooting than other members (apart from our treasurer) had done in the last 10 years.
In other words, you're daft enough to have done a lot for the club, so we'll give you a title so you'll have to do even more.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
reasons for not EVER going to the AGM.... being put on the committee... that and they tend to be boring...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If all archers avoid getting onto the committee, that leaves no one on the committee.Then what? Non committee members will do the essential work, such as collecting fees and sending them off. Seems like that job is being done by someone, whatever title is given.If committee meetings get boring, perhaps there's a need for new blood. If no one steps up to the line; no new blood.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
reasons for not EVER going to the AGM.... being put on the committee... that and they tend to be boring...
AGM's should be short and sweet - sticking to the matters on the Agenda - review of accounts, election of new persons to posts and awards for those who have done good.

Anyway Bimble - just be glad there are folks prepared to deal with "boring" so you can enjoy your shooting

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I have no problem with accepting that I can't complain about anything the club decides because I don't go to meetings... I just want somewhere where I can pay my money and shoot.