Using an arrow inspector for cresting?

LittleSkink

Apologies if this has been asked before, couldnt find it

Cresting machines are really pricey, and I dont tinker with my arrows enough to justify buying one (or build a DIY one)

However, arrow inspectors are only about £30 and I wonder if they would be usable to put a few rings around the arrows - to make them stand out from others' and maybe use some vivid colours to help find them in the grass when we are allowed out to play again. So a practical painting need not aesthetics

Mostly I prefer to shoot wooden arrows for fun and have been pondering getting an inspector and one of those "rolly" arrow straightener things

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would be inclined to get a strong cardboard box and punch a hole right through with an arrow. When the arrow is in the box put elastic bands round each end and slide them towards the box, so as you turn the shaft, it doesn't move in and out of the box.

Riceburner

I would be inclined to get a strong cardboard box and punch a hole right through with an arrow. When the arrow is in the box put elastic bands round each end and slide them towards the box, so as you turn the shaft, it doesn't move in and out of the box.
Nice and simple - I like it. :)

I once made a good attempt at a cresting jig using Lego - but never actually got around to using it as I realised that I lost/broke the things too often to make it worthwhile. :D

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My arrow straightener use to be a mitre box. I added a couple of V blocks to support the shaft( no moving part to wobble)
Then a lever to press down on the high spot. Initially, watching the lever rise would be enough to judge high spots; then a friend gave me a DTI which was helpful for judging how much bend was getting taken out each press.

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
I once made a good attempt at a cresting jig using Lego - but never actually got around to using it as I realised that I lost/broke the things too often to make it worthwhile. :D
I bet having to build it every time you wanted to crest an arrow would get really boring:giggle: