WA 3D Instinctive Class: Permitted Riser Types? Help Please!

turtle

Hi All, I'm thinking of putting together a bow that meets the World Archery 3D Instinctive class rules and need some help. I would like to shoot a fairly long recurve three under and I'm already used to shooting my 70" ILF barebow. I find that none of my wooden one piece bows from 60-64" feel in any way OK to shoot three under, perhaps due to my 30" draw and lack of tiller adjustment. I don't want to go back to split finger just to compete in this class.

Watching WA championships on Youtube it looked like people were shooting wooden ILF risers in the Instinctive class? This would allow me to slap long ILF limbs on a 23/25" riser and get the kind of length I feel most comfortable shooting. However, I see that in this class bows can't have risers that permit adjustment of draw weight (but tiller adjustment is fine). Is there a way of putting together an ILF bow and still meeting the rules? I read somewhere about people putting wax in one of the limb adjustment bolt slots, or doing something to show that it can't be adjusted during the shoot, but can't find reference to this.

Can anyone help me clear this up? Thanks!

Valkamai

I've heard of archers filling in one of the limb bolt Allen key holes with solder so it could not be adjusted.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

turtle

Thanks Valkamai, that sounds good as it doesn?t ruin the bow and can easily be reversed with a little effort

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
What's the rationale behind allowing tiller adjustment but not draw weight?

4d4m

What's the rationale behind allowing tiller adjustment but not draw weight?
Yes, how does that even work? With tiller adjustment you adjust the angle of each limb independently. Adjust them both equal amounts and that will change draw weight!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
No, it doesn't. If one is fixed you just need to make the other work in harmony with it. The only reason both need to move is to alter bow weight. That is considered a modern tuning innovation, therefore trad won't allow it. Harder to tune if you can't fiddle bow weight.