Welcome to the 3D and Field Archery Section

Field Archer

Welcome, this area is for field and 3D archery topics of your choice. If it looks like we need it divided in to different sections, that can be done. Hopefully we can have EFAA, NFAS and GNAS/FITA archers all joining in together. :)

bowshootinmomma

Hi...just wondering what the 3D shoots are like in England. Do you have a wooded course where you have targets set up? We shoot 24 or 25 targets twice along the trails and in the iron man that we just went to we shot 20 targets 3 times...each time from a stake set at a different distance. Different classes shoot from different stakes. It's a long day but it's a lot of fun.

Haywain

bowshootinmomma - 29/5/2005 3:42 AM

Hi...just wondering what the 3D shoots are like in England. Do you have a wooded course where you have targets set up? We shoot 24 or 25 targets twice along the trails and in the IRON MAN that we just went to we shot 20 targets 3 times around the course...each time from a stake set at a different distance. Different classes shoot from different stakes. It's a long day but it's a lot of fun.
There are lots of different courses. Mostly in woodland, but others mixed with the fields and open spaces around them. Most competitions are run around 36 3d targets, the club I shoot for usually have 40 targets out over a woodland course. I have shot at clubs where the targets were laid in various places about a trout farm and another round a show jumping arena.
There are different scoring systems too. The most popular being Big Game with a high score of 20 per target (depending on which arrow and where you hit the target).
4 pegs to shoot from, red, white, blue and yellow. Adults shoot from the red peg, if you miss you walk forward to the white and shoot one more. If you miss again, you walk forward to blue and shoot your third and final arrow. Scoring as follows:
1st arrow = 20 Kill / 16 Wound
2nd arrow = 14 Kill / 10 Wound
3rd arrow = 8 Kill / 4 Wound
Juniors and cubs, depending on age, shoot from the closer pegs with cubs shooting all 3 from the yellow peg. Lots of different styles at the shoots, but you only compete against people in the same class.

bowshootinmomma

Adults shoot from the red peg, if you miss you walk forward to the white and shoot one more. If you miss again, you walk forward to blue and shoot your third and final arrow. Scoring as follows:
1st arrow = 20 Kill / 16 Wound
2nd arrow = 14 Kill / 10 Wound
3rd arrow = 8 Kill / 4 Wound
Juniors and cubs, depending on age, shoot from the closer pegs with cubs shooting all 3 from the yellow peg. Lots of different styles at the shoots, but you only compete against people in the same class.
-----
That's great that you get to shoot again if you miss. We can't do that at our shoots....one arrow per target. I think that's really a good idea...especially for the kids and the new shooters.

You may have mentioned it...but what is the farthest distance you shoot for women and Men? At some of our shoots we have a bonus shoot at a Javelina at 70 - 80 yards and it's open to anyone. Most womens shots here are no further than 30 yds other than the Javelina. It would be interesting to see a British shoot one day....maybe I'll visit my sister near London and do just that!!!

Thanks for the information. :)

Haywain

It depends on the target Momma ... and the space available. You do get some very long shots. A good one is a downhill shot at Brixham .... 100+ yards at a lion in open ground. This picture is from the cub peg:

Haywain

It depends on the target Momma ... and the space available. You do get some very long shots. A good one is a downhill shot at Brixham .... 100+ yards at a lion in open ground. This picture is from the cub (yellow) peg. Now look who's repeating - lol

Haywain

Or how about the obstacle which causes the most problems, especially for those without a flat trajectory.

Haywain

There are also some competitions where only one arrows per target is allowed, but they are rare.

Haywain

A few more pics of the more interesting shots:
In the second, you can barely see the 3d standing bear that Colin, the NFAS President is shooting at.

bowshootinmomma

Great pictures!! Thanks for showing them :) Wow those are some real long shots and it looks as though you're shooting traditional bows...long bow...recurve? If that's the case I've NEVER seen any of the targets for those bows here placed at those distances...the traditional bow pegs are way out front. If you have more pictures I'm sure all here would love to see ;) . Thanks again!

Haywain

I can post here, but it's probably easier (and better for the server) if you have a look at them on the sites they come from. Don't worry, I can point you in the right direction.

www.nfas.net

There is a section on there for pictures. Also there is a "clubs" section. You can visit some of the clubs by clicking on the mouse symbol next to their name and you will find they have some great shots.

Traditional bows are very popular in the NFAS, but at competitions everyone shoots from the same pegs, regardless of style. It doesn't matter though. Someone shooting longbow only competes against other longbow shooters. So although you might have Recurve, compound and longbow in your particular group you will only shoot against those people in the competition shooting the same style, of the same sex and in the same age group.

jadlem

Take a look at www.elyarchers.org.uk Pictures are on the photos page. We are a target club but occaisionaly go to open shoots at Perris Archery. We all have a great time, most of the targets are no further than 30yds but a few can be upto 70yds away!

Just wish the price of 3d targets was lower, over half of our club would love to do more 3d shooting.

jadlem

Field Archer, many thanks for this, had no idea the club even existed! Will pass on the info to the rest of our club. Is this where you shoot?

DO you also need to be members of the NFA?

Field Archer

Membership to the NFAS is needed before you can shoot at one of their events, this is a requirement for their insurance. The yearly membership fee is very small, only ?10 for seniors and ?5 for juniors.

You can use the form on the NFAS website, http://www.nfas.net/abouttheNFAS.asp, but I would suggest contacting Liberty to meet with them.

jadlem

Field Archer, just had a look at their website. Very patriotic. Will get in touch with one of their committee soon to discuss. Are there any other field clubs out there lurking? I found out today that there is an archery society that practise at Grunty Fen, a few miles from here that I'd never heard of. I had no idea archers were so secretive.

jadlem

Field Archer, have visited a local outdoor centre and got off the phone with Pam, the secretary for NFAS. Looks like there may be the first club in Cambridgeshire starting very soon.

Any suggestions? Cheap dealers of 3d targets would be helpful!!

tharrowaster

Hi Moma
if you get to visit your sister let us know and we will fix you up with a day at the company of 60 and you can see for your self, we have a web site with pictures on it but at the moment my befuddled brain cannot remmber the address but someone out there must know it. By the way we do not allow sights so you will have to go instinctive, its more fun that way.